Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question Help me decide - Canon Rebel XT or D20

I have finally decided to make the transition to digital and having trouble making a choice between these two models.

I current use a EOS Elan 7 with a Tamron 28-300 lens which I love because I don't have to carry around a lot of equipment and I get decent photos. My photography style tends to be pretty much portrait. I rarely take a wide-angle shot.

My observations with the two cameras: From all I've read, the XT seems to perform extremely well. I didn't like the way it felt in my hand -- can't seem to get a really great grip. It is lightweight, although I'm not sure if that's a plus because it seemed unbalanced with the Tamron lens.

The D20 feels wonderful but it also feels heavy with the lens and particularly so when you add the speedlite. Trying to weigh the pros and cons of each. Am willing to spend the $$ for a camera I will be happy with. Thoughts and suggestions?

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Re: Help me decide - Canon Rebel XT or D20

Quote Originally Posted by dfrost01
    I have finally decided to make the transition to digital and having trouble making a choice between these two models.

I current use a EOS Elan 7 with a Tamron 28-300 lens which I love because I don't have to carry around a lot of equipment and I get decent photos. My photography style tends to be pretty much portrait. I rarely take a wide-angle shot.

My observations with the two cameras: From all I've read, the XT seems to perform extremely well. I didn't like the way it felt in my hand -- can't seem to get a really great grip. It is lightweight, although I'm not sure if that's a plus because it seemed unbalanced with the Tamron lens.

The D20 feels wonderful but it also feels heavy with the lens and particularly so when you add the speedlite. Trying to weigh the pros and cons of each. Am willing to spend the $$ for a camera I will be happy with. Thoughts and suggestions?
    I haven't used the 20D, mainly because I can't afford one, but from what I understand based on the reviews, the Rebel XT isn't terribly different from it's big brother. It has the same sensor and the same DIGIC II processor. The grip is a little difficult to get used to, but the battery grip accessory goes a long way towards helping you out, especially if you're doing verticle portraits.

The major decision maker is going to be what you want to spend. There is $600 difference between the camera bodies, and depending on your budget, that could be a good starting point for good portrait lens.

Re: Help me decide - Canon Rebel XT or D20

I went through exactly the same thing when I was trying to decide between the two. In the end the 20D won the day. I just liked the way it felt in my hand way too much more. Also, being into gadgets the way I am helped lean me towards the 20D as well.

I've had it for about three months now and don't regret the decision to spend the extra money one little bit.

Hope this helps.
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

Thread Information