Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Help me choose please!

Hi to everyone,

I plan on buying my first SLR and I am aiming for a budget in the $800-$1000 range. The 2 cameras I am currently looking at are Canon EOS 400D and 30D. I am definitely a beginner (gradually moving towards intermediate) and the kind of photos I like taking are landskapes / skyskapes / cityskapes / architecture / macros. Taking that into account can someone suggest which camera would serve me better? Even if it's non of the 2 I listed above, your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Any kind of suggestions and opinions would be very very helpful!!

Thanks in advance.

Rado

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Help me choose please!

Welcome to the Forum Rado. If it's between the 400D and the 30D, I would go with the 400D. The auto focus system is the same in both cameras, and the 400D has a self cleaning sensor. The image quality of the 400D is also better than the 30D, and you get it for half the price of the 30D. The 30D does have some features that the 400D doesn't, like a faster burst rate. With what you listed as things you like to shoot, the faster frame rate shouldn't matter. Go with the 400D, and take the money you save, and put it towards a good lens.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Hey Michael,

Thanks very much for the advice!! That little pros and cons list that you made for me was very helpful. I will most probably go for the 400D unless someone gives me a very serious reason to do otherwise.

Thanks againg and cheers !!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I'm glad it helped. I must confess, I have never used either one of these cameras. My info comes from what others on this site have said, and from the sample images I have seen from these two cameras. I am only echoing what Photo John has said on this site many times.

One other thing you should consider before making this type of purchase, is the size of the camera. The XTi is a little smaller than the 30D. If you have small hands, that might be a good thing, if you have big hands, the 30D might be a better fit. Go to a dealer, and get your hands on both of them and see what you like better.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I was actually thinking of doing that this weekend. To tell you the truth, I care more about image quality rather than anything else. I noticed many people complain about the size of the 400D and thus they attach the extra battery thing. So that's something I will probably do if the camera is "unberably" small.

Thanks for the info / advice again!!

Shooting Canon and loving it!

Zmeiaspas,

If you are looking at the 30D, don't be afraid to purchase the 20D at a cheaper price. If spot metering and the bigger LCD isn't important to, it's the same camera. I bought the 20D a month ago and love it, I have also shot with the 30D, and their is no diffrence. Anyway, I dont know a thing about the 400D, just though I would chime in.

Beamer

You choose

Quote Originally Posted by zmeiaspas
    Hi to everyone,

I plan on buying my first SLR and I am aiming for a budget in the $800-$1000 range. The 2 cameras I am currently looking at are Canon EOS 400D and 30D. I am definitely a beginner (gradually moving towards intermediate) and the kind of photos I like taking are landskapes / skyskapes / cityskapes / architecture / macros. Taking that into account can someone suggest which camera would serve me better? Even if it's non of the 2 I listed above, your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Any kind of suggestions and opinions would be very very helpful!!

Thanks in advance.

Rado
    I don't have either of these cameras (I use Nikon) but from what I have read and seen - both the 30D and the 400D would be more than enough for your needs. I recommend that you do a test that only you can do - go down to your camera store and take each one in your hands for a while. See which one you prefer. The camera is just a tool, which you have to master and use for years to come.

I would also look closely at the lens included in the deal. You'll probably find the Canon 18-55 is included with the 400D. This is not brilliant, but it's probably better than a designed-for-film 28-80 which you might find packaged with the 30D. Read the reviews on this site.

Charles
    Last edited by Franglais; 04-26-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Iron Horse

I have the 400d and can definitely recommend it as long as its comfortable in your hands. buy it online for $650 (usually w/ free shipping) and you can spend the other $350 on a good lens for it. Overall the lens is more important than the body, and the $350 (assuming a budget of $1000) will buy a Sigma 17-70mm which has gotten a lot of good praise and does shoot macro, or *almost* buy the Tamron 17-50mm (got mine for $400) which has a fixed min Ap setting of 2.8, and excellent, excellent image quality.

don't forget to budget in another $25-35 for a memory card, and at least that amount for a camera case (unless you already have one).

Canon XTi
    Tamron 17-50mm
    Nifty Fifty 1.8

Thread Information