Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Exclamation HELP!..Canon 40D or 50D for the same price.

well, just when i thought my mind was made up on getting the canon 40d; i call a local electronics store because i want to look at a 50d they had ordered for another customer (anything over Rebel quality is special ordered from this place, they don't keep 40d/50d in stock). all i wanted to do was hold and check out the camera because the 40d and 50d have the same body.

i ask the employee about this and he hands the phone to the manager. the manager says the guy who ordered the 50d ducked out and won't buy it after all. and says he'll "make me an offer i can't refuse". i don't know what the hell that's supposed to mean but it sounds like he wants to get rid of the 50d.

if he offers the 50d to me for the same price as the 40d (maybe $50-$100 more (canadian dollers) is it worth it? (they're both kits and the 50d has a better kit lens than the 40d i think)(40d had 17-85mm and 50d has 17-55mm... i think)

i've been reading that the 50d is not worth the extra $ over a 40d. but if you were to choose one or the other for the same price, which one would you get?

this is a dilemma for me cause i don't have the money for either right away, but if a 50d for the price of a 40d is really that good of a deal i have to make up my mind quick.

i'm driving over there in a few hours to talk with him about it.

I NEED ADVICE!!!!!!!

HELLLP!!!!!

Re: HELP!..Canon 40D or 50D for the same price.

That is a tough one, Bob. You're probably already off to make your purchase. I would ask you what kind of stuff you're going to shoot. I had a 40D and sold it to by a 50D. I've found that at low ISO settings the 40D actually had better image quality. But the 50D definitely does better at high ISO settings, and it has a much better LCD. If you're planning to shoot a lot of low ISO landscapes and you mostly shoot in good light, then I think the 40D might be a better choice. If you shoot action or find yourself shooting in low light a lot, then I think the 50D is the better choice. By the way, I bought the kit with the 18-200mm IS lens. That's a more expensive kit than the standard one. But I seriously love the 18-200mm IS lens.

Let us know what you end up buying and why. And I think whichever camera you buy you'll be happy. There are a couple of negative reviews for the 50D in our user reviews. But I have one and even though the low ISO performance disappointed me, I am still happy with my the camera.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobjackson
    i've been reading that the 50d is not worth the extra $ over a 40d. but if you were to choose one or the other for the same price, which one would you get?
    At the same price? No questions, go with the 50D. If nothing else, it's newer and you'll get a better resale value.

But I am more impressed going from the 40D to the 50D than I was going from the 30D to the 40D.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

ha! "deal i can't refuse" my ass! i get there and was looking at the 50d when the manager comes up and asks if i was the guy who called. then he says he'll sell the 50d (which was originally going for $2000 with the 18-200 lens) for $1850. no offense, but for me that is deal to easily refuse. i can barely afford a 40d for $1250.

we talked for a bit about it and i told him i'd be back in a few weeks to order the 40d, after i had a bit more money. so i got all worked up over nothing really. i was expecting a much better deal than $150 off of a $2000 camera. (these are canadian prices by the way). so there was no camera bought today. every day gets harder, knowing that in a few weeks i'll own a new camera that isn't a point-and-shoot.

Well, enjoy the 40d. For what it's worth the 50d at the same price would have been better, but you'll love the 40. Both spectacular cameras. Have fun with the new toy.:thumbsup:
    ----- M -----

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    But I am more impressed going from the 40D to the 50D than I was going from the 30D to the 40D.
    Interesting. I was a little disappointed with the 50D. I don't regret it. But it just isn't what I'd hoped for as far as image quality goes.

Have you posted a review yet, Loupey?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Have you posted a review yet, Loupey?
    Unfortunately, no. I was about to do a whole slew of review on bodies and lenses until I realized (in speaking to people and reading other reviews) just how much emphasis people place on features that I just don't use. So when it comes to giving a review, I think I would be a poor example. But looking back on the forums here, I do seem to give a lot of advice

Image quality is paramount to me, how I get there is a whole bunch of other factors.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

I was once branded a "negative" guy because I pointed out several of the 50D's shortcomings. Seems most of what I said turns out to be the truth? Anyway, seems the hype that manufacturers put out these days is getting more intense, and that's not just in the photography sector.

There was much criticism of the new 25mp Sony when it first came out. Turns out when the Nikon finally arrived, it had many of the same attributes. More megapixels means more artifacts and noise show up, which negatively affect image quality. A few years from now I think most of these negatives will have been engineered out. Digital photography is still relatively new. Both the manufacturers and we photographers have much more to learn. I fear it may be a somewhat painful process, so for now I will stick to the 12 - 14 mega pixel self imposed limit of what I have and strive to learn how to get more from my present cameras.

Lenses are another matter. Many new offerings and they seem to just get better and better. I think I'll follow my own advice and put my money in quality lenses this year.

Thread Information