Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Lens Help

Lens Help

I just bought a Nikon D 80 and Sigma 18-200 mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Lens. It is my first SLR Camera and I was wondering if anyone had any other Lens that I should purchase? I am going to be taking pictures of Landscapes, Buildings and Sporting events. Are there any accessories I should get. I did purchase a Haze reducing lens cap as well. Thank you for all of the help.

Re: Lens Help

For sports, check out a nice 70-200 with USM (extremely fast) focusing to keep up with the action. It will do much better than your 18-200. Go with an F/2.8 if you can afford it; if not, an F/4 is fine if you have good light, because you'll need shutter speeds of at least 1/250, if not double that.

For landscapes and buildings, since your lens already covers sort of the "standard" wide angle, try an ultra wide lens, like Sigma's 10-22mm or Tokina's F/2.8 11-16mm.

And one lens no photographer should ever be without is a nice 50mm. I believe the D80 has the in-body focus motor, which would make it possible for you to use Nikon's F/1.8 50mm. That should only set you back about $100 and will be one of the finest optics you'll ever use.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

First, welcome to the forums. People here are very willing to share knowledge and I've learned more than I can recount since joining.
    I also have a D80 and have had for about 2 1/2 years and am very pleased with it.
    If you are shooting landscapes and buildings, you'll probably want a wide angle lens eventually. I have a Tokina 12-24 f/4 and am very pleased with it but they now make a 11-18 f/2.8 which would allow one to take shots in lower light and have more contorl of dof.
    If I were you, I would stick with the lens you have for a while and you'll find what strengths and weaknesses it has and what you'll need to get the shot you want. I'll let the sports shooters advise you for that lens.
    As for accessories, there's a zillion or more.
    The basics are memory cards, bag, tripod. I also think polarizer filters, and flash should be included. There are regular threads on all of these things and you can look them up or start a new one when you are ready.
    Oh! I think by a haze reducing lens cap, you mean a UV filter.
    These are not necessary on digital cameras though some use them for protection and others think they just give poorer quality photos because its quite unlikely that their glass is as good as what's on the lens. Why cover up the quality?
    Anyway, welcome again, and stick around, ask questions, and post photos.
    The critique forum is a great learnign tool.

edit: I see Brad posted while I was typing and he's right about the 50mm.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Frog, I think there's some saying about great minds... ;)
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye

My Blog

Thank you both for all of your help it is much appreciated. If you dont mind me asking but what type of photos would i use the 50 mm lens for?

50mm on a digital body makes a great portrait lens. Its a little long for street photography, but will work.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

See the window light thread and the 50mm f/1.8 threads in the viewfinder forum.
    You'll get plenty of ideas.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

To add to that, the 50mm F/1.8 is excellent for low light situations, which is something your current kit would not cover well. For me, the 50mm F/1.8 is the only lens I had for about 4 months. It's an excellent lens for just about anything. You can use it for landscapes if you need/want a more focused look, and of course its sharpness is wonderful in that case. I've used mine quite a bit for that purpose and I actually prefer it to a wider lens in many cases.

Its best qualities for me would be: low light ability, sharpness, and excellent as a portrait lens.
    Brad

My Blog

In my experience with my Nikon cameras, here are my priorities in buying lenses.

1. VR if possible

2. Fast if possible

3. Read at least three or four different reviews so you are informed

4. Full frame pro lenses if possible

Bargain lenses often are just that, great price, but not greatest quality. Most of my Nikon lenses cost more than the camera they were bought for. Lesser cameras usually take great images with great lens. More expensive cameras take poor images with poor lens.

There is a lot of room for discussion on the above statements, but I think they will hold up in the long run.

Thread Information