Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question Have a Digital Rebel and a big question...

Hi, I am super new and know very little about photography...so, I am begining a photo class in two weeks. I recently received the Digital Rebel Kit but I need a new 35mm camera for the class. What should I buy? An old Canon body? Can I use the lenses I buy for an older Canon body with my digital Rebel? I want to invest my money wisely if possible. Thank you for any help!
    shannon

The kit lens with the drebel will not work with any other camera than the drebel. It is an EF-S lense, built only for the rebel (and possible unknown future cameras).

So basically, if you need a 35mm for your class, neither the drebel or the lens are gonna work.

So, for 35mm, you aren't really tied to Canon, but if you got a canon 35mm and canon EF lenses, those lenses WOULD work with the rebel, as would a flash like a 550ex or other Canon accessories.

So, if you have a drebel, you might want to consider sticking with canon, getting a 35mm body (which I don't have the experience with to recommend), and then the accessories you get will work with both cameras.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    As Sean pointed out you can use an EF lens on both the DRebel and an EOS film body. What you buy kind of depends on how much money you're willing to spend and what you think you'll use. You can get the Rebel K2 body new for $155. Since you're new to photography I would advise against buying an expensive lens until you know what focal lengths you like to shoot. I would personally buy the 50mm 1.8 for $75 -- cheap, but good. Granted, it's a focal length you already own, but the 18-55 has a max aperture of f5.6 at 55mm, so the 50mm will let in a lot more light.

Other than that you could always go for a used manual Pentax K1000 or the like, generally found on ebay for around $100.

Hope that helps!

Danielle

PS are you in the Photography program at ASU or are you just taking the class?

Liz

Rebel 2K......

I have the digital Rebel - and the Rebel 2K which was my only camera before getting into digital. The Rebel is an excellent camera for what you want it for, and you will get excellent results. Nice camera - I used it for 3 years. You can use it on auto or manual, and it has many nice features. I would also agree with Danielle about getting the Canon 50mm/f1.8 (it's $75 at B&H). Then you can use this lens and whatever other lenses you get with the Rebel 300D also. If you need a flash, the 420EX is great on both cameras. I would stick with Canon so you can use the accessories with either camera (except for the digital kit lens).

Rebel specs
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=300535&is=USA

Lens 50mm/f1.8
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=12142&is=USA

Liz
    Last edited by Liz; 06-02-2004 at 03:15 PM. Reason: add links

Thank you, you guys have given me the exact info I needed. I needed some starting lens and flash info, so you helped a lot. I may have access to an old Canon body, but I may go ahead and buy a Rebel.
    Mig: I am taking a photo class at a community college. I am an ASU alum, however

Thread Information