Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Cool Any good reason not to buy this combo?

• Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTI (400d) body
    • Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di-II LD Aspherical IF Macro Autofocus Lens

around $1200 from BH

I am hoping to use this lens for almost everything I shoot. I've seen some good reviews, but am not sure of the Tamron name. I'm enticed by the extended zoom.

My alternative setup was the D80 with the VR 18-200mm lens, but that will be an extra $400 or so.

I'm not completely settled at all, but what I do know is that I'd like a good body and a zoom lens that I won't have to change often. Up to this point, I have used a Fuji S9000 with good results and I don't think I'll be excited to switch lenses.

Any advice would be EXTREMELY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

JWright

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Any good reason not to buy this combo?

I've heard nothing but good things about the Tamron 18-250.

The purpose of a DSLR like you are looking at it to have the ability to change lenses for what ever the situation calls for. Buying a DSLR is not buying a camera. Buying a DSLR is buying a SYSTEM. Bodies. Lenses, other accessories. The XTI and the Nikon D80 are both capable camera bodies that should serve the average shooter well.

As for the Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di-II LD Aspherical IF Macro Autofocus Lens. It is a $500 dollar lens that covers a large focal length area. While zoom lenses have come a long way since the early days, that large of focal length spread at that price is going to have some downsides. It is a slow lens in that the largest aperture is 3.5 at 18mm. Here is a review of that particular lens. http://www.phototestcenter.com/html/tamron_18-250.html

Not bad, but not spectacular. If you really have your heart set on not changing lenses, then you might want to look at top of the line superzooms such as the Fuji IS-1
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/8...l_Cameras.html

If you want to delve into the world of the DSLR then you might be better served with looking at a couple of lenses to cover the range that you are looking at. The price will be higher, but the quality of the glass attached to the camera is very important. You could buy a XTI body and go with a couple of lenses.
    Highly regarded wide to normal focal length zoom at a decent price.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_XR_Di.html
    Nice consumer midrange zoom with IS.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...5_6_EF_IS.html
    IMO you would probably be happier with the results of the above lenses than with the kit you have chosen.

That's great input! I really appreciate it!

@gryphonslair99: I think I may have given the wrong impression. My plan is to buy a flexible lens that can be the workhorse for now and expand for more specific needs later. My thought is that this would be a very flexible lens for basic shooting.

@Canuck935: Glad to hear it =)

Justin

Not really comparable

I've heard nothing about the 18-250 (no reviews in the French press). Two things I am sure of:

- the f6.3 maximum aperture at the telephoto lens end may stop the auto-focus working. f5.6 is generally the limit
    - it has no image stabiliser

I have a Tamron lens (11-18mm). I like it a lot but I don't feel it's as good as a Nikon lens. I can onserve chromatic aberration and loss of sharpness in the corners at some settings whereas recent Nikons seem to perform well in all situations. I think that the Tamron lens is targeted at the amateur market whereas the Nikon 18-200 is aimed at the low end pro market. I expect it's just better all round.

Comparing the XTi and the D80 it's a similar story. Just take the two cameras in your hand and look through the viewfinder. The D80 is a more solid job.

However - I expect that in everyday shooting you probably wouldn't notice the difference. If you were aiming at being semi-pro and doing big enlargements then you might notice the drawbacks of the cheaper solution
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I'd have to ask if you are starting with one lens then what do you envisage shooting the most as that would really determine what lens I'd advise getting. Nothing wrong with either body you mention though.
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

Quote Originally Posted by jwright
    That's great input! I really appreciate it!

@gryphonslair99: I think I may have given the wrong impression. My plan is to buy a flexible lens that can be the workhorse for now and expand for more specific needs later. My thought is that this would be a very flexible lens for basic shooting.

@Canuck935: Glad to hear it =)

Justin

Sorry if I miss understood. It was that
    I'm not completely settled at all, but what I do know is that I'd like a good body and a zoom lens that I won't have to change often. Up to this point, I have used a Fuji S9000 with good results and I don't think I'll be excited to switch lenses.
    That was the reason for my post. I have seen too many posts that have said similar thing and the were looking for a DSLR and only one lens because they just didn't want to be bothered with changing. Then they don't understand why their pictures are no better than the ones with their old P&S.

Thread Information