Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Going from P+S-->DSLR

Hey everyone,

Yes, I know, another "what camera should I buy" thread. I mountain bike, and I know, I get annoyed when people post asking what bike to buy. So bear with me, and I'll try to be specific as possible.

Right now I'm using an Olympus D435. It's all right, but I'm ready to upgrade :thumbsup:

I mountain bike, so taking (decent) action pics is a huge plus. I recently went on a trip to Peru (with my old camera) and got really frustrated when I couldn't get a decent picture of something (whether it to too blurry, or out of focus). I'm going to Japan this summer and don't feel like missing picture oppurtunites. Also, night pictures. With my old camera, night pictures turned out horrible. No matter how steady I held my hand (or even if I set it on a bench) the pictures came out horrible. So (decent) night pictures would be awesome. Lastly, close ups would be nice, but from what I have gathered, that depends a lot on the lense...

Some features I would like:
    -Adjustable shutter speed
    -Able to take "sequence shots" (for someone hitting a jump and what not)

So basically, an all around dSLR. I'll probably end up buying a kit, w/ the body and a basic lense, then purchase different lenses after I figure out what I want. Looking to spend around $600-$700.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Re: Going from P+S-->DSLR

Any of the current sub-$1000 DSLRS will serve you well. They all have adjustable shutter speeds from around 1/2000 sec to 20 or 30 seconds. All have a continuous drive mode at between 2.5-3 frames per second.

Here's a side by side technical comparison of 10 cheap DSLRS: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...ra100&show=all

I just decided to get a DSLR and I'm going with Canon for a few reasons. Its mainly a past use thing though, so go with whichever camera you like best. The Nikon D80 gets a lot of love, the Canon is supposed to have very good image quality, the Pentax 10d combines many features of its competition (image stabilizer in the body, dust reduction, etc.). Look at some reviews, do some research, and decide which camera fits you best. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Re: Going from P+S-->DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by prime
    Any of the current sub-$1000 DSLRS will serve you well. They all have adjustable shutter speeds from around 1/2000 sec to 20 or 30 seconds. All have a continuous drive mode at between 2.5-3 frames per second.

Here's a side by side technical comparison of 10 cheap DSLRS: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...ra100&show=all

I just decided to get a DSLR and I'm going with Canon for a few reasons. Its mainly a past use thing though, so go with whichever camera you like best. The Nikon D80 gets a lot of love, the Canon is supposed to have very good image quality, the Pentax 10d combines many features of its competition (image stabilizer in the body, dust reduction, etc.). Look at some reviews, do some research, and decide which camera fits you best. You can't go wrong with any of them.
    Thanks so much for that link! Will help me a lot! The more I read, it does seem like any of the choices will be good :thumbsup:

Thread Information