Ghosting problems

Printable View

• 08-22-2005, 06:07 PM
    gruntre69
    2 Attachment(s)
    Ghosting problems
    Hi all,

I took this on the weekend with my 20D and my new 70-200 EF L IS f/2.8 lens. Can any one tell me exactly what causes this ghosting around the white collar. I have a feeling it is caused by using the lens wide open.
    Here is the shot data:
    Camera Model
    Canon EOS 20D
    Shooting Date/Time
    21/08/2005 12:58:46 PM
    Shooting Mode
    Shutter-Priority AE
    Tv( Shutter Speed )
    1/500
    Av( Aperture Value )
    Metering Mode
    Evaluative Metering
    Exposure Compensation
    +1/3
    ISO Speed
    Lens
    70.0 - 200.0 mm
    Focal Length
    200.0 mm
    Image Size
    3504x2336
    Image Quality
    Fine
    Flash
    Off
    White Balance Mode
    Auto
    AF Mode
    AI Focus AF
    Thanks for any tips
  • 08-23-2005, 08:55 AM
    dmm96452
    Re: Ghosting problems
    Hopefully you'll get replies from more experienced people than me, but most of what I've been reading here tells me that all zoom lenses (even the pro ones) seem to have their poorest performance at the widest aperture and longest focal length. Since you were set to both in this shot that probably explains your issue.

You've cropped in very tightly to show the collar which may also have a price in resolution.
  • 08-24-2005, 07:32 AM
    Michael Fanelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gruntre69
    Hi all,

I took this on the weekend with my 20D and my new 70-200 EF L IS f/2.8 lens. Can any one tell me exactly what causes this ghosting around the white collar. I have a feeling it is caused by using the lens wide open.

Looks like purple fringing to me. Try changing the angle, the light, or use a smaller aperture.
  • 09-07-2005, 07:05 AM
    setiprime
    Wide open and zoomed all the way = a bit soft. I have this lens and, depending on your copy, f3.5 is your first "safe" setting. Fully extended or fully wide, you are getting lens distortion to some degree. Love the lens but like everything else - it has limitations. Plus they are moving a bit - directly at you. A whole lot of factors at play here. Some of it lens and some of it the shooter.