Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Nikon D5000 or the Canon EOS Rebel T1i

I'm looking to purchase my first slr camera and these two seem to be right around the same price range. Could someone whose had experience with either one of these please fill me on on the pros and cons of each? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Nikon D5000 or the Canon EOS Rebel T1i

Theres several other threads on the first page already asking this same question. Please browse some of the previous threads to see if your questions could be answered in one of them. If not, then please ask specific questions so we aren't simply repeating whats been said in several other threads already. A simple answer to your question: Its largely 6 in 1, half a dozen the other. The differences primarily lie in Canon's more broad AF lens compatibility with included AF motor and its higher resolution, and then Nikons tilt swivel LCD. Other differences minor, you should also look at other options outside Canikon: Pentax Sony Olympus and Panasonic all make great cameras and maybe one of those might be better for your needs too.

Are you leaning in any particular direction? To some extent it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Does video matter to you or will it be primarily a still camera for you? I haven't used the Canon but I wrote our D5000 pro review and I loved the low light shooting ability and the tilt-swivel LCD. And that's coming from a Canon owner.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Both are good cameras. I just bought the D5000 and like it very much.
    Pick the one that feels good in your hand.
    Volker

Thread Information