Fuji S3

Printable View

• 02-06-2004, 12:40 PM
    ustein
    Fuji S3
    Although the new Fuji S3 has only 6MP real pixels it could be a breakthrough if they really get the higher dynamic range to work.

Uwe
  • 02-18-2004, 05:37 PM
    PuckJunkey
    Yes. The question that I have and which no one from Fuji publicly answered (at PMA) is, even though there are still only 6 million pixels on the sensor, there are two photosites per pixel now. Thus there are two 6 million pixel data streams that go into each capture (I think?). That being the case, when the camera boosts the shot up to say 12MP, it would seem logical there is a brand new sort of "resampling" going on that is not analogous to what the S2 or any other DSLR does.

Do you guys have any thoughts or information on this? Have we sort of arrived at a new definition of "resampling" or "interpolation", at least where this new sensor type is concerned?

Perhaps resulting in much higher quality "up-resing"?
  • 02-18-2004, 07:29 PM
    ustein
    I would call it morea blensing of the two images (from the 2 types of sensors).

What is a pixel (in the pixel count game), good questions.
    True is that the fuji has 12MP photo diodes.

A normal camera of 6MP does not capture full RGB color at 6 MP (each sensor captures only one gray value). The only exception is the Foveon. The pixel counting game is dangerouse anyway. Pixels and pixel quality are key.

Uwe