Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Formatting and losing memory?

I had about 600 images on my memory card - SD, 2gb, 150x, brand is Transcend (had some decent reviews on amazon).
    The card held more than 1k pictures.

Yesterday, after copying all the images onto the computer, I formatted the card through the camera.

Now it tells me I can only hold 576 images??

I have no idea what happened here...and any suggestions on how to fix it would be appreciated. This card is basically brand new - I've had it since December.

Re: Formatting and losing memory?

That number may only be approximate. You'll notice that different subjects are different file sizes. Usually files with a lot of detail are larger than ones with broad expanses of similar color. The camera doesn't allocate a certain amount of memory for each shot but just uses what is necessary out of the total available. You probably had a bunch of smaller than average files on the camera before. The number available being shown now is just a ballpark figure given as a guide for you.

If the number shown now is less than it was the last time you formatted and all the settings are the same on your camera as they were then, you probably do have a problem with the card.

I'm not sure that Amazon is a good place for reviews of equipment.
    ----------------------------

Nevermind, I'm a total ditz. Somehow I changed the settings of the photos and didn't realize it until a little after I posted this. I didn't do it intentionally...so I have no idea how I managed to do it without realizing it!

I don't use amazon reviews for anything important...but for a memory stick, I figured it couldn't hurt. They're usually reliable for the less expensive things...especially when there are a ton of reviews.

Sounds like you have it set to take higher quality pictures now...that's a good thing.
    Glad you figured it out.
    ----------------------------

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Glad ya got it figured out, but on the same note using a 2gig card in my D2h, it says I can only shoot about 350 photos. 450ish later, my card is full
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thread Information