Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Format Vs. Erase

I have been wondering about this. I had a SanDisk that was like my trusty main card for years, and one day after writing a glowing review of it, bam, dead.

One thing about that card was that I used to format it probably 9 out of ten times I went to erase it, if not more. Was I shortening the life of my card? I have gotten into the habbit with my new 1 and 2 gig cards of using the "All Erase" option, and just formatting maybe once a week. Is this a better method, or is there no real difference as for as card life goes? I always figured a format was better because of any possible digital residue from erased images.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Format Vs. Erase

I don't have a specific answer for you John, but I ALWAYS format my cards. I don't think I have ever used the Erase function, and I have never had a problem with my cards. I know another woman, who had never even heard of formatting her cards, and she has never had a major problem with her cards either.

I have always heard that formatting the cards, in camera, was the best way to erase the, and that's what I have been doing ever since I got them.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I don't have a specific answer for you John, but I ALWAYS format my cards. I don't think I have ever used the Erase function, and I have never had a problem with my cards. I know another woman, who had never even heard of formatting her cards, and she has never had a major problem with her cards either.

I have always heard that formatting the cards, in camera, was the best way to erase the, and that's what I have been doing ever since I got them.
    Thanks Mike!

Anyone else have any thoughts?
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Per a Canon tech, always Format, and do it in the camera, never by computer. For sports shooters formatting is quicker. However the tech said erasing doesn't do as well cleaning the card which is their main reason for format vs erase.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Per a Canon tech, always Format, and do it in the camera, never by computer. For sports shooters formatting is quicker. However the tech said erasing doesn't do as well cleaning the card which is their main reason for format vs erase.

JS
    Thanks JS!

The aformentioned CF Card was pretty old to begin with. I got it with my first digital camera which I bought used in '03, and the card itself was from '01. It died in December just after I sold my D60. So I guess it had a pretty good run.

I guess I will stick with the "Format" option for now on.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information