Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Liz

Question Canon 85mm/f1.8 - xpost

I cross-posted this from Helpfiles since I need to make a quick decision. Any input?

I have a chance to get a good deal on this lens. I would basically use it for portraits. I now use the 50mm/f1.4. And I have nothing between 50mm and 200mm/f2.8. Is this a good option?

Color rendition, skins tones, sharpness is what I'd like to know. Yes, I did read the reviews, but after using the "L" lenses with their beautiful color rendition, I don't want something dull or less contrasty........thanks.

Liz

The 85mm lens, like the 50mm f/1.8, seems to be a difficult formula to botch. Every manufacturer seems to have similar performance in that lens, and if it's anything like my 85mm Nikkor was, then it will have the best image out of any lens I have owned. The problem is, it becomes a bit difficult to use on a digital body due to the crop factor. It is definitely on my list of lenses to get though, it's pretty much number one.

I suggest you go try it at a store, take it outside, shoot it wide open inside, etc. The Nikkor was incredible, I hope the Canon is close, for our sake.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Liz

Cool Thanks for the quick reply!

Thanks Sebastian. It's what I wanted to hear. Even new, the price is only about $325. Usually there is a catch when the price is that low. However, the 50mm/1.8 is a nice lens......for $75!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    The 85mm lens, like the 50mm f/1.8, seems to be a difficult formula to botch. Every manufacturer seems to have similar performance in that lens, and if it's anything like my 85mm Nikkor was, then it will have the best image out of any lens I have owned. The problem is, it becomes a bit difficult to use on a digital body due to the crop factor. It is definitely on my list of lenses to get though, it's pretty much number one.

I suggest you go try it at a store, take it outside, shoot it wide open inside, etc. The Nikkor was incredible, I hope the Canon is close, for our sake.

Thread Information