Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question Which flash should i get for my Nikon??

I have a Nikon D50 (love it) and I am planning on getting the Nikon D5000 soon. I am an aspiring pro photographer, and have done several weddings and Senior portraits in the past. I have come across the problem of low lighting inside for weddings, and I am not too keen on using the built in flash. i am looking to maybe get an external flash for my hot shoe. I am on a very tight budget and would like to know which flash would help me but not cost a fortune. Remember, I do this very part time, and just want the indoor pictures to look a little better with a flash. Thank you.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Which flash should i get for my Nikon??

I'm surprised that it seems one cannot get a new SB 800 anymore unless they want to spend more than what an SB 900 costs.
    I'd jump on this one from Cameta,(a trusted dealer), Isn't new but you mint is as good as it gets and will be less than the sb900 new. http://www.cameta.com/index.cfm?fa=d...b%20800&used=1
    You might think it is more flash than you need, but you'll soon find that it isn't.
    If it costs more than you want to spend, eat less. Its the best deal I could find from a trusted dealer.
    Make sure you check the dealer ratings in the "dealer feedback forum" if you find a deal too good to be true.
    You could go sb 600 but won't get as much and eventually you'll want better, especially for weddings.
    What lens are you using? Another option is to try a 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4. These would allow more low light shooting without a flash.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Re: Which flash should i get for my Nikon??

We just discussed this a bit as one of the options in this thread

Advice on accessories for Nikon D60

The SB400 is a possibility. And bear in mind that when you go from the D50 to the D5000 your maximum possible ISO goes up to 6400.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information