Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: First dSLR?

First dSLR?

Hi all,

I wanted to know what your suggestions would be for my first dSLR?

I want a dSLR because I'm really tired of the shutter lag on our old point and shoot camera, and I really need the telephoto capabilities that a dSLR offers. I have always wanted a dSLR. I know a reasonable amount about cameras....I enjoy setting my own shutter speeds, aperature, ISO, etc..

My budget would be <$1,200 for both the camera and an OK telephoto lens. I would like some room to grow.

I will be shooting primarily wildlife (Deer, waterfowl, backyard animals) and scenery. With our current point and shoot, I usually have done macro photography and scenery, since I didn't have a telephoto lens. I definitely won't have the camera in my hand day and night, but I would like a new hobby, besides a reason to tell my parents I need a new gadget.

Thanks a lot,

Infowarrior

Re: First dSLR?

Start out with your requirement to shoot wildlife. Not one of my subjects but I guess a 70-300 f4.5-5.6 would be enough (=450mm in films terms). The latest one from Nikon gets good reviews and if has VR which is useful as the maximum aperture is only f5.6. Plus the version of the 70-300 is AF-S which means you can use a body without a focussing motor like the D60.

If you feel you need a bigger viewfinder and more focussing points you might be able tofit the D80+lens into your budget. It's just been replaced by the D90 so prices have dropped. If you can find a kit with the 18-70 then go for it - I have the 18-70 and it's really excellent, not the sort of lens you want to change after six months
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thanks for the advice. I did have my eye on a Canon XSi w/18-55mm kit lens and a Canon 70-300mm IS USM. I would consider looking at Nikon D80, although it's sort of pushing the budget. One thing I would be worried about is how fast the D80 will be outdated. I guess it's the same question with any model you look at.

I definitely want a lens with VR or IS. Let me know what you think of a Canon XSi or a Nikon D80 for me. Unfortunately, I live far from any retail store that carries these cameras, so I don't get there very often at all. I can't really try these cameras before purchasing. (I will be purchasing the camera over the internet)

Thanks a lot,
    Infowarrior

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Even with the 20D 1.6x crop factor, I find the Canon 100-400 L IS just about OK for wildlife.
    And a f/5.6 on the long end of the zoom it's not fast enough for many situations.
    BUT it is affordable, and far easier to carry and use handheld than a prime.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I have the same problem as no one close carries a good selection of DSLR's to test. So, read plenty of reviews here at PR. Also check the Camera dealer forum. There are a lot of scams out there and deals that are to good to be true. Good luck.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks guys. I think I will go with a Rebel XSi and a 70-300mm IS USM lens. When is the best time to buy cameras in the US?

Thanks,
    Infowarrior

Thread Information