Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

best zoom lens for Nikon D 70

I recently bought the Nikon D 70 out . I have the 18 to 70 mm lens that came with it . It's a very good lens, however I'm looking for a zoom lens. Tamron has a new 28 to 300 DI lens. has any bought it? I was wondering if anyone has had good results with it?

Re: best zoom lens for Nikon D 70

Hi,
    I saw that nobody answered your post. I too am having trouble getting someone to answer mine.
    I have the D70 which came with the 18-70Nikon zoom. I also have three others. The one I use the most is the Tamron 28-200. It isn't quite as good as the Nikon 28-200 zoom (which an associate of mine has, but almost). I also have a Tamron 70-300 zoom and a Sigma 35-135 zoom. The reason I bought the 28-200 instead of the 28-300 is because the former is suppose to have macro on it. But I haven't had real good results using it in macro (there is no macro setting, you just use it at 200m and get as close as you can. I do use the lens for weddings (wonderful), for shooting Tae Kwon Do action, posed portraits of all kinds, for landscapes and everything in-between. Have you bought a lens yet? Let us know.
    Rere

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by pippol
    I recently bought the Nikon D 70 out . I have the 18 to 70 mm lens that came with it . It's a very good lens, however I'm looking for a zoom lens. Tamron has a new 28 to 300 DI lens. has any bought it? I was wondering if anyone has had good results with it?
    Hello Pippol,

I cannot directly answer to your question but I use the Tamron 28-75 xr Di as my primary lense with my D70 (I have bought the body alone so I cannot comment on the D70 stock lense). For what it's worth I like the Tamron so far. It gives good results most of the time. The sharpness is especially good but the lense seems to be somewhat prone to flare (more than the few Nikon lenses I have used so far). I leave the hood on all the time on the Tamron which take care of the issue.

The Tamron Di series is quite recent and they are using particular technologies for these. My guess is that the 28-300 should prove to be quite good in it's category but going for a zoom lense that cover such a wide range is never the best option as far as picture quality goes.

regards

Seb

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

The lens that you need next is more or less dictated by what you shoot. A moderate zoom is great for some, while others like the extended range of the 28-200/300 range. Do you need the precision of a 2.8 pro-grade piece of class with its increase in size and weight, or will one of the slower consumers lenses, with less weight and size do it for you? Fill in the blanks to the above and then hit the review section. I personally like my 28-70/2.8 and 80-200/2.8. They are big and heavy, but so am I. I can really see the difference in quality at the higher magnifications. One of my next purchases will be a macro, or micro as Nikon calls it, for those up close and personal type of shots. I bought my D70 with the kit lens and think it does a great job, however, if someone is paying for the shot, the pro glass goes on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by pippol

Hi I have a D70 and the kit lens as well. I recentely purchased the Tamorn and I LOVE IT It takes great pictures and is so eay to focus. It is great and I would hesitate to but it, if youre asking opinons

JB :

I got my D70 about a month ago. I purchased it with the Sigma 2 lens kit. I have the Sigma 28 / 80 and the Sigma 80 / 300 macro. I love the camera and the lens and I couldnt be happier. Great combo for the money $1229.00

Thread Information