Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Converting Olymups RAW images???

I have a problem. I have PS-CS on my Mac, and CS2 on my PC. For some reason unknown to me, neither can handle RAW files from my new Olympus E-500. The .ORF file extention is nothing new. It has been around since before the days of the E-1. We are talking about the time of PS 6 here. So, why can't the RAW converter deal with my .ORF files? It handled my .CRW files from both my D30 and D60, and the .MRW files from my Minolta DiMage 7i without any problem whatsoever.

I have been to the Olympus site and downloaded their abmismal PhotoShop RAW plugin, which is basically an import utility with very little control over processing. It's pretty much unuseable.

I guess what I want to know is this, why won't PS work with my .ORF files? Is there something I missed? Do I need a 3rd party app to convert the .ORF files in before I work on them in PS? I am not talking about the overly simplistic kind of program that they provide with the camera, but rather something that is on par with the kind of control I am used to with Adobe Camera RAW.

Thanks for any help.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Re: Converting Olymups RAW images???

You need Adobe Camera RAW 3.3 or later to import files from the E-500. It only runs under CS2. ACR 2.4 is the last version that works with CS, and it doesn't support the E-500. It's a free download from Adobe.

On your Mac, you'll probably need other conversion software. Adobe Lightroom will handle the E-500's ORFs, and give you plenty of control. The problems with it are, it's still beta software, and the versions available now will eventually stop working, and you'll need to buy a copy. Which may not be so bad, depending on the price.

Just because an RAW file extension is the same doesn't mean the file is actually the same. Canon has been using the .CRW extension for RAW files for a long time. But every time they have a new sensor the RAW conversion software developers need to update their software.

Have you tried RawShooter? You can't get the pro version anymore, but the free version is excellent, too. And it's still available. I believe it should work on the E-500 files.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks guys!

I was under the apparently mistaken impression that the file extentions themselves changed when the file types changed.

I will check those proggies out!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

You could also use Adobe's DNG converter to convert your E-500's ORFs to .DNG files Photoshop CS on your Mac can read with ACR 2.4. You'll probably need to update ACR to 2.4 to do that, and download the latest Adobe DNG converter.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Just because an RAW file extension is the same doesn't mean the file is actually the same. Canon has been using the .CRW extension for RAW files for a long time. But every time they have a new sensor the RAW conversion software developers need to update their software.

Have you tried RawShooter? You can't get the pro version anymore, but the free version is excellent, too. And it's still available. I believe it should work on the E-500 files.

Thanks for the info on Raw Shooter. I downloaded it tonight. Even though I haven't shot in RAW yet, I will next time out. I am not sure of all of the benefits but there must be something to it if all you guys are using that format...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Thanks for the info on Raw Shooter. I downloaded it tonight. Even though I haven't shot in RAW yet, I will next time out. I am not sure of all of the benefits but there must be something to it if all you guys are using that format...
    Greg
    It took me a good long time to realize the benefits of shooting in RAW. I could go over them all, but the truth is you really have to dive into it and see for yourself. The truth is that the benefits come in the post, not the shooting. Hell we all know that our cameras perform better when we are shooting JPEGS, but if you want the best image that your camera can produce then you have to shoot in RAW.

just a few things I love about RAW:

WB selection in post, so it does not matter what WB you shoot in, you can change it later.

Fine tuning controls that allow you to pull more detail from your image, though it takes a lot of prctice to decent at it.

RAW is the "Digital Negative", untouched by incamera processing. Just like a film negative.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    It took me a good long time to realize the benefits of shooting in RAW. I could go over them all, but the truth is you really have to dive into it and see for yourself. The truth is that the benefits come in the post, not the shooting. Hell we all know that our cameras perform better when we are shooting JPEGS, but if you want the best image that your camera can produce then you have to shoot in RAW.

just a few things I love about RAW:

WB selection in post, so it does not matter what WB you shoot in, you can change it later.

Fine tuning controls that allow you to pull more detail from your image, though it takes a lot of prctice to decent at it.

RAW is the "Digital Negative", untouched by incamera processing. Just like a film negative.
    I see what you mean. I tried a test picture with Raw Shooter. There are many fine adjustments that can improve the image. I converted it to Jpeg as well. The Jpeg came out way to small but I think I will be able to figure things out.
    I am still in the middle of a learning curve with my E500. It seems more sensative to exposure changes than film, that or the lab saved my rear end more than I realized..
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information