• 01-31-2010, 07:57 AM
    clk550lover
    Extended Service Plan - Are they REALLY Worth it?
    Hello folks............

I recently joined this forum and found this forum VERY interesting and full of useful information.

I am a novice BUT willing to learn digital photography. I am seriously, thinking of purchasing either Canon EOS 50D (most likely) or Nikon D90. I went to a nearest Best Buy and saw these cameras. Both are slightly heavy as compared to other plastic-bodied cameras. I, think either one of them will be a good choice for under $2000 (with nice lenses). I am planning on going on a safari in Africa in 2011 and thought either one of these cameras will serve my purpose along with some NICE BUT INEXPENSIVE lenses.

Will you buy the extended service plan say from Best Buy or COMPUSA or Canon? I know these service plans are sometimes rip-off BUT since I have limited (or nil) knowledge in this field, I am NOT in a position to judge the merits of these plans. Hence, I need your HELP. will you please HELP me ? :confused:

If yes, which plan is better (BTW, Canon has its own plan called "CarePAK) ?

Do they REALLY cover everything or just a marketing gimmick or scaring tactics for extra profit?

Also, to keep my budget under $2K, which lenses (wide & Telephoto) will you recommend for Canon EOS 50D ?

Thanks a LOT
  • 01-31-2010, 08:15 AM
    OldClicker
    Re: Extended Service Plan - Are they REALLY Worth it?
    Extended service plans, on average, are not worth the money. Of course, if your camera breaks...

More importantly - spend less on the body and more on the lens(es) - especially for something like a safari.

TF
  • 01-31-2010, 10:49 AM
    clk550lover
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I could not agree more when you wrote "More importantly - spend less on the body and more on the lens(es) - especially for something like a safari.".

I hope, you are NOT suggesting that I get a cheap plastic body camera and spend more on lenses. Are you? My understanding is Canon EOS 50D is the cheapest camera with Magnesium alloy body. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks a LOT.
  • 01-31-2010, 10:59 AM
    OldClicker
    If I had a chance to go to Africa on safari right now and was going to buy a camera, I would spend twice as much on a lens (more if multiple lenses) as the body and probably an equal amount as the body on support gear (tripod head, etc.). I might consider the 'dust resistance' of the body, but could not care less what it is made of. – TF
  • 01-31-2010, 11:34 AM
    clk550lover
    Thanks again.

What camera and lenses will you buy, assuming you are going on a Africa safari with following constraint - Do not spend more than $1500 - 1800 ? Can something be purchased (camera + Lenses) for this budget and still shoot good pictures?

Thanks a LOT.
  • 01-31-2010, 11:41 AM
    Franglais
    Quote:

Originally Posted by clk550lover
    Hi,
    I hope, you are NOT suggesting that I get a cheap plastic body camera and spend more on lenses. Are you? My understanding is Canon EOS 50D is the cheapest camera with Magnesium alloy body. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Now this is a really difficult one to answer. As far as I can make out:

- The lowest Canon body with a fully magnesium alloy chassis and full weather sealing is the 7D.
    - The nnD line has a steel chassis covered with polycarbonate (plastic) and an aluminium (?) alloy casing. It has incomplete weather sealing. I believe that the lens mount is screwed into plastic rather than metal, which might not be good with heavy lenses

If anybody can prove me wrong with diagrams or X-rays then go ahead.

With Nikon the first magnesium alloy body is the D300s. The D90 is steel covered with polycarbonate

If I was going on a safari I would take a plastic body. Drop it on the floor and it bounces. Get it full of dust - well you can always throw it away and get a new one..

I can't
  • 01-31-2010, 04:16 PM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by clk550lover
    Thanks again.

What camera and lenses will you buy, assuming you are going on a Africa safari with following constraint - Do not spend more than $1500 - 1800 ? Can something be purchased (camera + Lenses) for this budget and still shoot good pictures?

Thanks a LOT.

First, you can shoot great images with any modern DSLR and lens as long as you know the limitations of your system and work around them. The problem is that something like a safari (which for me would be a once in a lifetime at best) will probably impose some serious limitations.

I don't know what I would get since I have never looked into safaris nor have any idea what you will be doing. Why don't you take a look at some of Jumbo's work in the Nature and Wildlife forum and ask him for advice.

TF