Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question EXIF Info from Canon 300D - Rebel

Hello everyone,

I have recently ‘discovered’ the EXIF Info option in my Photoshop 7 version. Surprisingly, my digital images saved from the Canon 300D, have wrong information regarding the data when the images were taken. Many of them, have a date prior to my buying the camera.
    Others, have lost the information completely. Photoshop does not recognize them as coming from the Canon 300.

Can anyone help me understand how this command (Exif Info) works in Photoshop and why all this information is either missing or wrong. (i must specify that I have never bothered to set the camera for a specific date and time, I did not know how).

Thank you all,
    mujgabi

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: EXIF Info from Canon 300D - Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by mujgabi
    Can anyone help me understand how this command (Exif Info) works in Photoshop and why all this information is either missing or wrong. (i must specify that I have never bothered to set the camera for a specific date and time, I did not know how).
    To get valid data, you have to set the date and time. The camera has no way to know what time it is all by itself. Instructions for doing this are step-by-step in the owners manual.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thank you Michael,

What you said is very true and logic. Thing is that my camera set the year for some of the pictures already a year before they were taken, then for others several months after they were shot without me making any settings. That is a bit strange, isn't it? Do you know why this could happen?

And how come some files taken in the same day and same condition, after uploaded in the computer, lost their EXIF information, while the others did not?

Kind regards
    G

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mujgabi
    Thank you Michael,

What you said is very true and logic. Thing is that my camera set the year for some of the pictures already a year before they were taken, then for others several months after they were shot without me making any settings. That is a bit strange, isn't it? Do you know why this could happen?
    If you don't set the time and date, the camera has no way to put the real date and time into the EXIF data. How does it know when you took the shot? The date is preloaded with an arbitrary time, unless you change it that's what it uses. It appears that the default date is about a year behind. Set the date and time!

Are you saving your photos in PS using a file format that has the ability to store EXIF data? Not all formats do. PS will strip out EXIF it has no place to store it inside the image.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information