• 01-26-2005, 02:47 PM
    Peter E
    Err 99, shutter damage, Help !
    Hi

Bought the 20D with the 18-55 lens a few month ago. Two week ago when I was shooting some photos of my son the camera just stopped working. I first thought the CF card was full but then saw the Err 99 in the display. Removed the battery and put it back but got the Err 99 again. Went to the shop where I bought it and they could not fix it so they sent it to Canon service centre. Today the call me and tell me that the shutter is damage and that its not covered by the warranty. I ask for the number to the service centre and talks to them. They tell me that the shutter is a mechanically damaged and that its not covered by warranty since I must have caused it myself. I have never even removed the lens (don’t have any other lens) since they put it on the camera at the shop when I bought it. To damage the shutter I would not only have to remove the lens but also move the mirror. Why would I do that ? As you might guess they don’t believe me.

A new shutter is 400 euro (I live in Sweden) and the guy at the service centre could not guarantee that the camera would work even if they changed the shutter since there might be more damage to the camera.

What do I do now ?
    Is there someway of proving I did not cause this ?
    How could this happen ?
  • 01-26-2005, 04:01 PM
    Trevor Ash
    Re: Err 99, shutter damage, Help !
    Peter,

Unfortunately I don't know what to tell you. But from what you stated here it sounds like complete bull****. At this point, I HIGHLY recommend you bypass the retailer and contact Canon directly. I'm not sure who's feeding you the information but I hope it's not Canon. If it is Canon, just make sure you take down details about who, what, when, where, and why's of the conversations and try to escalate it.

Canon might have good reason to think that you were neglectful. Ask them why they think it's your fault? I'm assuming it's still under regular manufacturer warranty. Did you maybe buy it from the USA but are trying to get it serviced in Sweden?

What the hell is this damage the guy at the service center is talking about? Is it a Canon service center or just a Canon authorized repair facility?

Something doesn't sound right. Why do you think they want you to pay for the repairs? Why, if they know the shutter assembly needs to be replaced can they not provide a solid quote?
  • 01-26-2005, 08:52 PM
    another view
    Did you pay for the camera with a credit card? You may have some recourse that way as well.

Something's wrong here - with 35mm SLR's it was a lot easier to damage the shutter curtains when you changed film. But like you say, you'd have to take your finger and pull the mirror up to get at it - pressing the shutter in "B" obviously wouldn't do it because the shutter would be open.

It's a new camera - do they think that it's impossible for some manufacturing defect not to have happened? Maybe one of the blades in the shutter came loose and crashed into the rest of them; maybe anything. And like they say, there could be other damage - but this should be covered by warranty too (check the sensor carefully!).

I agree - contact Canon directly!
  • 01-26-2005, 11:40 PM
    Peter_AUS
    If you have a Consumer Affairs Department in Sweden, I could be contact them as well. Contact a lawyer. Sounds like a camera failure to me, especially if you have one lens and haven't removed it since it was put on the camera by the salesman.

Sounds like a crock to me. Ask to speak to the service manager where you have the camera, keep going higher up the food chain until you get somewhere better. Ask to speak to the complaints department, etc, keep pushing and don't take "It is your fault" as an answer.
  • 01-27-2005, 06:33 AM
    Peter E
    Yes the camera was sent to a Canon authorized repair facility, not to a Canon service center. I spoke directly to Canon today and they were both helpful and understanding. They will contact the repair facility and speak to them and then get back to me. If that does not work out I will have to speak the Swedish Consumer Affairs Department to se if they can help me. I’ll also se what my Credit Card company can do o me.

Thanks for your help
  • 01-27-2005, 11:20 AM
    Trevor Ash
    That's great news Peter. Hopefully Canon will pull through for you.
  • 01-27-2005, 05:37 PM
    Peter_AUS
    Good Peter, I hope it works out for you, please let us know how you get on.