Epson RD1

Printable View

• 11-23-2004, 12:29 PM
    phillym
    Epson RD1
    Has anyone seen the RD1 in the flesh. I called Epson and was told they have shipped the camera to BH photo, Calumet and Sammys however when I called the retailers I was told they were out of stock.
  • 11-23-2004, 01:56 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: Epson RD1
    I saw the prototype Epson had behind glass at PMA. It looked solid and nice. If I remember right, the camera body is being made by Cosina. I think they're also manufacturing the Voigtlander. So it's reasonable to expect the camera's feel and handling to be comparable to the Voigtlander rangefinders.

I actually added the RD1 to the reviews just yesterday. I'll see if I can round up some owners to post reviews. The camera is interesting to me, too. It looks like it might make a good backpack camera. Here's a link to the new review page:

Epson RD1 Review Page >>

Hope you don't mind me moving your post. I thought it was a better fit for the Digital SLRs forum. I'm actually not sure how to classify the RD1. I added it to the Digital SLRs review category. I'm not sure if I should change the name of that review category or what. The RD1 is definitely closer to a digital SLR than a compact digital camera. But unless there are a bunch of digital rangefinders it doesn't justify a new review category.
  • 11-30-2004, 07:10 PM
    Photo-John
    Luminous Landscape Review Posted
    A very detailed, and well written review by Sean Reid on the Luminous Landscape Website:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...pson-rd1.shtml

Not only is it an informative ad positive review of the Epson RD-1, but it also says a lot about the how and why of rangefinders. I went to read it to find out a little about the new camera. But I found that it was also a very interesting and enjoyable article that had a lot to say about photography in general.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the RD-1. And then there's the new Zeiss Icon digital rangefinder, and I've heard Leica has one in the works, too. Neat!