Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

How many RAW files do I get vs. jpgs

I have 5 1G cards to use at a wedding I'm shooting (for a friend, but I'm the sole photographer).

I really don't want to start using RAW... as it seems so time consuming. But I'm open-minded.

I heard for pictures as important as a wedding I should shoot RAW.

I have the digital rebel (the 6 Mega Pixel one).... so I get 360 pictures per card (so 1800 total). I probably won't take that many.... maybe 1000.

How many RAW files can I get out of a 1G card? I can't seem to find my manual, and I've been looking on the lexar site all morning.....

Thanks in advance.

Re: How many RAW files do I get vs. jpgs

No one lists the amount because it varies form format to format and settings to setting. Any amount you find will be inaccurate for the very same reasons.

Have you tried putting the card in the camera, setting it to RAW and reading the remaining frame counter?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Try Google

Quote Originally Posted by ltilley
    I have 5 1G cards to use at a wedding I'm shooting (for a friend, but I'm the sole photographer).

I really don't want to start using RAW... as it seems so time consuming. But I'm open-minded.

I heard for pictures as important as a wedding I should shoot RAW.

I have the digital rebel (the 6 Mega Pixel one).... so I get 360 pictures per card (so 1800 total). I probably won't take that many.... maybe 1000.

How many RAW files can I get out of a 1G card? I can't seem to find my manual, and I've been looking on the lexar site all morning.....

Thanks in advance.
    I did a search on Google for "Digital Rebel Raw Size" and I come up with a review that says that the typical size of a Digital Rebel RAW file is about 7MB.

That's about the same as on my Nikon D70, which uses a compressed RAW format. I get about 160 images out of a 1GB card. If you think you're going to do 1000 then you're going to be short.

I would shoot RAW for an important event (but then I shoot RAW always). You have much more ability to correct exposure errors, WB errors, etc. than in JPG. But it's a lot of work afterwards. It took all my evenings last week to correct the 1200 images I did at a friend's 2-day wedding. But I was pleased with the results and when she said "Can do do some in black & white?" I knew this was not going to be a problem.

Charles

My Fuji S2 doesn't have a compressed RAW setting, and I get 77 shots per 1G card. Jpegs are about 1/3 the size - I think it's 208 per 1G card for native 6mp size, fine setting. Jpeg file sizes vary a little from shot to shot depending on what's in the shot, but it doesn't really affect how many I can get on a card.

Best way to find out is to put a 1G card in the camera, format it and see how many will fit of either format.

Not necessarily

Quote Originally Posted by another view

Best way to find out is to put a 1G card in the camera, format it and see how many will fit of either format.
    The original D70 firmware showed the worst-case result for the number of RAW files you could get on the CF card - about 92, if I rember correctly. The new firmware that was released with the D70s did a better calculation taking into account a typical compression ratio. It now says 161 on a 1GB card and this has turned out to be true. The D200 also does a worst-case analysis but on this camera the default is to have uncompressed RAW. Activate RAW compression and it still says that a 4GB card will hold 223 images but then the number only goes down about one every two shots..

I don't know the Digital Rebel but it may not show the true number of shots remaining with RAW.

Charles

Good point Sebastian.... I will do that... but its soundind like I'd need more cards if I wanted to shoot RAW.

Thanks all for your input!

Lisa

Thread Information