Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Lens rentals

Lens rentals

I've been advised not to use a conversion lens with the Canon 100-400, but I'd still like to give it a shot. I understand my 30D won't autofocus with this combo, but I tried manual focus today, with no problem. I've also been warned about the softness. I still want to find out for myself. Does anyone know of a reputable source for rentals? Lensrentals.com won't rent the converter unless you also want to rent a lens.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Lens rentals

I was going to suggest Lensrentals, but it looks like you already have.

You can try www.lensprotogo.com

or

http://www.samys.com/rentals.php

If you can't find a place that will rent one, you could buy one, and if you don't like it, send it back. You would only be out the shipping cost, assuming the place you purchased it from doesn't charge a restocking fee.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Mike, thanks for the good advice. I just ordered one from Adorama. I have 14 days to try it out. This is cheaper than renting. Great tip.
    Mike
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by mn shutterbug
    Mike, thanks for the good advice. I just ordered one from Adorama. I have 14 days to try it out. This is cheaper than renting. Great tip.

Yeah. If you rent it and like it, you may end up ordering it anyway. This way you avoid the rental fee all together. Did you order the 1.4x or 2.0?

Let me know how you like it. I have a 100-400, and a 1.4TC coming next week from lensrental.com, along with a 70-200mm f/2.8IS L.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I ordered the Kenko 1.4. I've heard that the 100-400 with a converter doesn't make a good combo, but I'm going to find out for myself. I know of one person on another forum, that uses the Kenko with this lens and states the the quality is excellent and that even the AF will work, with this converter. The salesman at Adorama even doubts the AF part. I played with manual focus yesterdday, and I think I can handle it if need be. I'm more interested in the IQ. I should have it by the middle of next week. As soon as I shoot a couple birds with the combo, I'll post them.
    Mike

One thing to keep in mind with the TC is that you are going to loose a little light. Manual focusing could be a little more tricky with once you add the TC. I have a Quantaray 2x TC, that I bought to use with my 170-500mm, but I hardly ever use it. It's way to dark to MF unless you have a lot of light, and the IQ suffers greatly. I hope you have better success with your combo. I'm looking forward to seeing how you like it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I don't know of too many places that rent TC's except adorama. Try them. As always Adorama has everything .
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Thread Information