Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Which entry level DSLR for Macro?

As I have said elsewhere, I am about to purchase the Canon Rebel T2i ...
    I was wondering which of the entry level DSLR cameras might outperform the other at Macro and is the Kit 18-55mm standard lens ok to start with?

On a side note ... with respect to low light conditions, color and sharpness ... which one would be rated above the other.

I have no interest in Video capability whatsoever.
    I do like panoramas, but don't want to sacrifice on such options if it means given up on overall photo quality ...

Thank you.

Re: Which entry level DSLR for Macro?

For macro, CSC cameras are better for you, especially entry level. Get old manual focus macro lens, attach them to a M43 or NEX mount camera. Full time DOF preview, better focus grip. Plus, you can get excellent MF macros at low cost, reasonably under $100 a good macro for the rebel is more in the $300-$500 range, missing full time DOF preview, and smaller focus ring.

Olympus Pen, Panasonic GF3, Sony NEX. If macro is the purpose, you are way better off with one of those than a rebel, *especially* if cost to value becomes a part of the equation.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

I'm glad I asked then. Thank You. Could I assume that such cameras will still take above average, scenic shots, compared with premium compacts?

Yes ... I believe Macro will be something I will be focusing on. I am an avid gardener and am always trying to focus on the finer details of my plants as well as the insects and soil type. Other than my garden interests, I am very much in Hiking and take a lot of panoramas with my iPhone ... I would be happy to just use Paint Shop for stitching.

Just looking up those abbreviations and researching the listed cameras. I have $660.00 to invest in something to start with. I already have a video tripod to get started with, but will later get the right setup with regard to mounting for such macro shots.

I'm definitely interested ... how much of a trade off is it with respect to low light shooting and detail in generalized photography? Of course you can't have everything...just wondering is all.

Just looking at the Sony Alpha NEX-C3K Kit with 18-55m lens ... $530;30 free postage.

I am still wondering about the 30mm aperture compared to that of a larger 50mm SLR plus the restrictions over manual controls ... once again ... I have to decide what is better for what I wish to shoot. I like the idea of the 3D Panorama, however I detest watching 3D movies weather at the movies or on those damn TVs that require waring glasses ... this I will have to find out....if it is any good at 2D.

3D technology is way ... way ... underdeveloped for my liking ... but that's another story. Just MI is all. No offense intended and nor do I wish to debate it ... We just think the glasses idea is too invasive.

The CSC cameras I listed use DSLR image sensors, the one in the NEX is the same thats in the Nikon D7000. So, you should expect DSLR image quality.

You are incorrect in the 30mm and 50mm aperture thing, the difference in size between a DSLR and a CSC is a smaller flange distance (not aperture), DSLR's are 45-50mm, the nex is 17mm, and hte M43 is 20mm.
    - Charlie

Thanks charlie,
    I am incorrect about a lot of things, but thanks for the clarification.
    I went ahead and Chose the Canon EOS D550 ,,, Doh!

Whilst it probably wont be the best at this or that ... I tracked down some good macro work that will get me off to a good start. At the end of the day, whilst I like to focus on certain styles ... and get bogged down doing so ... I just figured for a beginner that an Entry Level DSLR would be the best way to go. Perhaps I made a mistake ... I am looking forward to learning from just doing that though ;)

I've downloaded a heap of books and am already studying the finer points of my cameras ability and looking forward to asking a bunch of questions in my quest to take better photo's.

Thanks again Charlie ... Its kind of a relief now that choosing my camera is over......
    I'll be happy just to learn getting the most out of what I have now.
    Cheers
    Dave.

Dave,

An entry level DSLR is not a bad way, it is only recently that an alternative has been around. The DSLR will have all the same ability as the CSC, and vice versa, the CSC is just tooled in a much more practical for macro way. The 550D DOES have a DOF preview function, which is a fundamental for macro work. Its the small button underneath the lens, use it!

Canon's 100mm f/2.8 macro is the way to go for macro work.

Glad to be of help. Stick around and post some of your shots in the critique forum to get advice.
    - Charlie

Absolutely! ... and Thanks again for the recommended lens there...I'll check it out ... for sure!

good

good..........................

Just wanted to update as I have already starting saving a few hundred. I'm looking at spending several hundred on a lens. BIG decision!!! as I won't be getting much more after that. I am very happy with my eos 550D (Newbie factor) and have been already getting good results with some macro work using just the 18-55mm lens. It has macro labeled on the side (0.25m/o.8ft) of the kit lens and seems to do a reasonable to good job in such when in macro mode.

I have to admit, I have also been thinking of the standard Canon EF 75-300mm Zoom Lens for around $200.00. (but am put off about no IS)

I take it the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM also has not image stabilization as such intricate work should be done with tripod?

I notice the Canon 300mm lens with IS is several hundred ... but probably no where the performance of the Macro lens for such work.

Because my kit lense has IS, I take it if I got the 100mm macro lens and wanted to go shooting some landscape shots or just some shots of my garden at normal distances, that I would be better to simply just use the 18-55 kit lense which has IS? for hand held that is? Or if I did not mind using a tripod could I use the 100mm macro as I would the kit lens?

Sorry for all these questions..............Just trying to cater for a few different situations with the least lenses is all ..... probably like telescopes ....... a hard thing to do?

Will keep you posted....

Meaning Of Macro

The word "macro," applied to photography, actually means 1:1 image capture. Your 18-55 kit lens will allow you to focus somewhat close but it won't capture a 1:1 image. If you want to photograph really small stuff at full resolution, you'll need a real 1:1 macro lens. Of course, if you don't need high resolution, you can also crop your photos to make them tighter. A couple of other options are the Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 lens, which I use for all macro product shots in our reviews. I also have the Canon Life-Size converter, which converts the Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 to a true 1:1 macro lens.

Image stabilization is a really useful feature. But outdoors in good light you probably don't need it. Of course, the longer your lens is, the more camera shake will be magnified. So IS is more important with long lenses. But you're correct that macro photography is best done with a tripod.

Maybe I missed it, but what kinds of subjects are you planning to photograph? How close do you really need to be?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Don't forget about extension tubes or closeup filters. This can be an inexpensive way to get either closer focus (extension tubes) or close focus + additional magnification (closeup filter) for a lot less money than a dedicated macro lens using your existing lenses. Tubes are by far the cheapest way to get closer focus (smaller MFD - Minimum Focus Distance) but the cheap ones make your lenses preform as if they are completely manual. Some tubes do support the lens electronics so that's also something to look for but it will cost more.
    I started with an old Vivitar 2x macro focusing tele converter behind an old fast 50 and got pretty nice results (IMO). That setup was good enough for a couple of years until I bought a dedicated 100mm macro.

Here's one with that Vivitar 2X TC and my A 50mm f/1.7. In fact I think this is the first photo I took with that combo.

IMGP2461 by MattB.net, on Flickr

Thread Information