dusty question

Printable View

• 10-11-2006, 12:46 AM
    filafera
    dusty question
    I'm wanting to upgrade from my Nikon film SLR to a digital SLR. I've been looking at the
    D200 and am pretty impressed but am slightly worried about lens changing and dust getting onto the sensor. When I was studying I heard horror stories of new cameras always being sent in to be cleaned because they changed lens in the street. Is this still an issue with newer digital cameras? Obviously I'll have to be careful where to change lenses. I take a lot of outdoor shots and sports so there will inevitably be dust flying but will a large air blower be adequate to get rid of any nasty spots?
    How does the D200 compare with other equivalents from other manufacturers?
    Thanks for your help :)
  • 10-11-2006, 03:22 AM
    danag42
    Re: dusty question
    If you're reasonably careful, you should be fine with a bulb-blower should any dust show up. If you get stubbron spots, there's always the Sensor Swipe and Eclipse fluid, but I had my digital camera for well over a year before I noticed any dust.

DO NOT, however, use canned air to clean the sensor. You can get propellant on it, and then you're in BIG trouble!!

The Pentax K10D targets the same customers as the D200, but it won't take your Nikon lenses. If you have lenses you like, stick with a Nikon.
  • 10-11-2006, 08:15 AM
    Canuck935
    Yes a good blower such as the Giottos Rocket blowers do a great job. If you are good about keeping it clean this should do the job for you 95% of the time.

If your film Nikon is of the recent AF variety and you have a few lenses already don't worry about what other manufacturers have and just stick to what you got as all of your lenses can be used on the D200. If you only have a couple cheap lenses then you might consider looking around. You might as well stick to Nikon though. You'll get a lot more respect because Nikon is the status symbol of the camera world.
  • 10-12-2006, 12:14 AM
    filafera
    Hey thanks for putting my mind at ease! Off to the shops...