Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Dust issue - Rebel XT

I've had my Rebel for about a year now. And I've noticed dust on pictures several times, but then it goes away, and I just assumed it was loose dust or dirt that landed on top of the lens and that wind kept blowing it away. Recently I discovered more of a pattern. When I turn the aperture up, I get dust. When I have the aperture wide open, I don't. It's the stock lens, btw, which is a EFS 18-55mm. I've taken the lens off and inspected the inside of the camera and lens as best I can (which is not all that great since I'm pretty new to digital slr), and I'm not seeing anything. I have a couple of new lenses on the way, but I still want to be able to use this lens. Is it the lens, or the camera? How should I go about cleaning it? Thanks for helping a digital SLR newb. Here's two pictures taken at the smallest and largest aperture so that you can see what I'm talking about.
    http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/328/img3397zh8.jpg
    http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/5998/img3398ix0.jpg

Re: Dust issue - Rebel XT

When you stop your aperture down, the DOF becomes less shallow and particles become more apparent.

If you open up IE to a white page, take your camera and set it to the highest aperture(F/28 or whatever yours it) and properly expose a photo of the blanks screen(no matter the shutter length) you'll see your dust culprit. you need a blower bulb to get them off, or you can send your camera into canon and they'll clean it for a fee.
    -Mike
    -------------------------------------------------------
    | Canon EOS 40D | Canon EOS 350D
    | Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS | Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5
    | Canon EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | Sigma 8mm EX DG Circular Fisheye
    | Sigma 30mm F/1.4 EX DC HSM

Re: Dust issue - Rebel XT

Thanks, that makes sense. That's what I figured. I'll give that a shot.

Thread Information