Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: d40X VS d80

d40X VS d80

Hi All. I currently shoot with a Minolta Maxxum 5 35mm film SLR. I have been looking for some time to upgrade to Digital and I am hoping to do so soon, unfortunately, I do not feel the sony a100 will be the best choice for me (although my lenses will already work) due to the greater shutter lag time than the other cameras I am considering.

Right now my budget is around $1000.00 and I am torn between the Nikon d40X and the Nikon d80. the packages I am torn between are below:

1)Nikon D40x Digital SLR Outfit w/18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens ($994.00 from h1photo.com)

2) Nikon D80 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera Body + Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Autofocus Lens + Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Autofocus Lens KIT (1,075.00 from Amazon.com)

I currently shoot on my Minolta with a 28-80mm & a 75-300 mm zoom, this is why i am particularly leaning towards the d80 option, espescially since it also includes the updraded d80 for only $80.00 more... But i am concerned of the quality of these Tamron lenses. I have read on another post of one user who kept reporting blurry shots with the Tamron lenses, I am wondering if this is whether or not they support the Nikon image stabilization.

As you can see I have alot of questions, any suggestions or recommendations will be very welcome!

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: d40X VS d80

These tamron lenses are particularly poor, and since you're coming from film, you must consider the crop factor of digital bodies- the 18-55mm has the same field of view as your 28-80mm.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

I would agree with deckcadet, that these two Tamron lenses are not their top of the line. I don't know about the 28-80 but I own the 70-300 f/4-5.6.
    At first I thought that the Tamron was pure junk. I could hardly get any sharp pictures from it. But I did try it on a mono-pod and it does get some sharp pictures. It does hunt and when it does you will just have to start all over, cause it won't find focus. But I will use it until I can afford a better one.

rovowen

Thank you both for your input. I shoot very good shots right now with my 75-300 - often at nearly full zoom - but i know the Minolta has some stabilization technology in there. If i have to use a Mono Pod it's no good. I take alot of picures very spur of the moment and on the beach... I would have no use for a monopod ..

Would you recommend the Nikon d80 instead with a 28-135 mm Nikon lense? Or the d40x with the previously stated lenses? both are the same price and i'd rather get the best possible option, even if it means having to wait till I can afford a better zoom.
    Last edited by luke802; 07-12-2007 at 03:53 PM.

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Get the D80, DON'T get the 28-135.It has quickly become known as the worst lense Nikon has ever made. see the review on steves digicams. I rec. you get the $100.00 Nikkor 50mm 1.8D as the first lense.
    You will love the tack sharp images it produces.

One thing about the D80. You must use premium(expensive) lenses to achieve results.The sensor is pushed hard in this camera, Cheap glass = poor results. That's my opinion.

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Don't know if you meant 28-135mm or 18-135mm.

18-135 is a far superior lens for the digital crop factor than a 28-135mm, as the extra room on the wide end makes a world of difference.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I don't think Nikon makes a 28-135 though Sigma does.
    If you did mean the 18-135, it is a great carry around lens with quick and quiet focus.
    Maybe it isn't pro grade but its a very nice lens though it does have some vignetting problems when wide open.
    I couldn't find a review in steve's digicams?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I don't think Nikon makes a 28-135 though Sigma does.
    If you did mean the 18-135, it is a great carry around lens with quick and quiet focus.
    Maybe it isn't pro grade but its a very nice lens though it does have some vignetting problems when wide open.
    I couldn't find a review in steve's digicams?
    Sorry about that Frog. It was in the Nikon user forum, It was a posting(opinion) from a guy that had bad luck with this lense.
    The AF motor siezed, lense mount problem. I should have qualified my remarks a little more precisely. My bad...
    Since we are talking about the 18-135...Nikon won't admit that there was a bad batch of this lenses in the early days.From the buzz I have read most people are quite satisfied with the optical performance.
    Thanks Frog.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Glad I got one of the good ones.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information