Which DSLR to get

Printable View

• 06-05-2011, 04:37 PM
    dylanpipe
    Which DSLR to get
    I am looking to buy a DSLR,I am new to photography and videography world as you can tell. I am going to be filming Snowboarding and Skateboarding. I have been looking at canon t1i,t2i,t3i. But havent really looked outside of canon. I have a compaq laptop, and have Vegas pro 9( if those make a diffrence) My prices range is around under 700, and if I look around I can find some pretty good deals. So, I would like to know what would be the best camera for me.. I'm not to worried about getting my camera wet while I film in the winter, and i will be filming in the winter so itll be crappy lighting and such. Also, since im going to be filming action sports, would it be better to get the t1i since in only shoots in 720 at 30 FPS( i think) and isnt that better than 1080p for action? i may be wrong....
    Also, what lenses should I get, for extras?

Thanks,
    Dylan.
  • 06-05-2011, 05:02 PM
    Grandpaw
    Re: Which DSLR to get
    Whichever equipment you end up getting please do yourself a BIG favor and read my post listed Before Buying off the internet check here. You will find a link to it in red at the bottom of my reply, Jeff
  • 06-05-2011, 05:06 PM
    volks
    Can't comment on the Canon cameras, however if you intend to use it outdoors during wet or damp winter weather you want to make certian that the camera is appropriate for those conditions.
    Your other concerns pertain mainly to lens selection.
  • 06-05-2011, 06:13 PM
    dylanpipe
    Volks,
    If I were to get a fisheye, which would you recomend?
  • 06-05-2011, 06:32 PM
    volks
    Have a look at Nikon 10.5mm. Not cheap.
    Don't personally have one so hopefully someone here who does will comment.
  • 06-05-2011, 06:38 PM
    dylanpipe
    haha yeah, deffinatly not cheap!
    But, more discussion on dslr to get!
  • 06-17-2011, 03:06 PM
    best#1
    If I were you I would save up a little more money and get the Canon EOS Rebel T3i It is one of my favorite Mid level DSLR cameras on the market.
    Perfect for sports and has some of the best HD recording. Just save up a little and get that. The rebel series is solid and tested.
  • 06-17-2011, 03:25 PM
    Photo-John
    Sony Alpha A55
    If video is your main purpose, then I'd steer you towards the Sony Alpha A55. I own a Canon EOS 7D and I've also used the Nikon D7000 extensively and neither one compares to the Sony A55 for action video. IT's the only SLR-style camera that has continuous auto focus for video that actually works. The Canon doesn't have it at all, Nikon has it but it's pretty weak - Sony's transparent mirror cameras are the only ones where you can actually shoot action with continuous auto focus and expect decent results. Here's a link to my Sony A55 review:

Sony Alpha A55 Pro Review >>

Oh yeah - the A55 also has a tilting LCD display, which, as you know, makes a big difference for action video shooting.

I'm a longtime Canon owner (well over 10 years), but if I was investing now and video was my main concern, I'm pretty sure I'd buy the A55.
  • 06-19-2011, 07:39 AM
    kaelahenderson
    Hi! I am also in the market for a dslr. I will be using it to film skateboarding also.. I have had my heart set on the canon t3i however I know it dosn't have auto focurs in video mode. Will this be a big problem when shooting action like skateboarding?
  • 06-25-2011, 09:05 AM
    VSS
    Currently have an Olympus E-510 and I'm thinking of jumping ship from Olympus.

The camera that appeals at the moment is the Canon EOS 7D. Any views?
  • 06-25-2011, 09:13 AM
    Anbesol
    And why jump ship? Olympus isn't popular enough for you?
  • 06-25-2011, 01:29 PM
    SmartWombat
    Why leave Olympus, isn't an upgrade to the E3 or E5 good enough?
    It will use the lenses/flashes you've already bought.
  • 06-28-2011, 11:04 PM
    Anbesol
    lol, I think my snide remark put him off. Sorry VSS, didn't mean to spoil your query.
  • 07-14-2011, 03:13 PM
    Greg McCary
    I agree there is a world of difference in the E5 and 510. You would go into culture shock comparing the two. At least four stops better with noise. The E5 with the 12-60mm is an awesome combo, weather sealed. A beast. I have made prints as big as 36x22 and the IQ is way more than I will ever need. The E5 also produces much sharper images. I say grab an E5. You may never need another camera.
  • 07-15-2011, 09:15 AM
    MeganBurns
    Hey guys,
    I'm trying to decide on buying a new DSLR. I'm very much a beginner and I have extremely little experience with using DSLR cameras. I just plan on using it for fun, nothing too serious. The two point and shoot cameras that I have are both Canon Powershots. I'm planning on buying the new camera refurbished on Adorama. Right now I'm trying to decide between a Canon Rebel XS, the Nikon D5000, and the Nikon D3100.

I can get (all with a 18-55 mm lens) the Canon for $400, the D5000 for $500, and the D3100 for $580. Can anyone give me their opinion on which of these cameras is the best bet for my money. I want something that's very easy to use because I don't have a lot of experience.

I definitely want something with live view but video isn't all that important to me.

Thanks!
  • 07-15-2011, 02:10 PM
    volks
    Get the Nikon D3100. Made just for you.
  • 07-18-2011, 08:34 AM
    buglinbilly
    I sure like my Olympus E-5. I liked my E-3 so much I still have that too. Both are great cameras, other than they make too much noise when close to wild critters is pretty much the most of what I shoot. But the picture quality is as good or better than Cannon or Nikon I believe.

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/q...Snakes/4-1.jpg

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/q...ountry/106.jpg

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/q...ountry/104.jpg

Have a good one. BB
  • 07-18-2011, 09:21 AM
    volks
    Wow, fantastic photos. Well done.
  • 07-20-2011, 10:52 PM
    thomas30
    Hi dylanpipe, if you want to go for Canon Camera then compare the reviews of different canon camera.
    You can better compare them according to your requirement and bucks you want to spend for purchasing it.
  • 08-03-2011, 11:00 PM
    Hatsumomo
    Hi all. I need some advice in an entry-level dslr. It'll be my first one after working with point-and-shoot cameras all my life. I originally wanted a Nikon D40, but by the time I could afford to buy one, they have been discontinued. So I'm almost settled on a Nikon D3100, but I'm open to opinions and suggestions on other cameras like Sony, Olympus, Canon, and Pentax DSLRs. Price is a factor, but I want a camera that can last a good while.

I'll mostly be using the camera for nature, food, and travel, if that helps.
  • 08-04-2011, 06:42 AM
    volks
    The Nikon D3100 is a good beginners camera. Once you have it, the real issue will be lens selection.
  • 08-05-2011, 09:43 AM
    tmoorez06
    I too need advice from you experts out there as to what kind of DSLR camera and lens to buy to take good action shots of motorsports action. Mainly NASCAR races. What are good values of the most important attributes of the camera body? Such as shutter speed, frames per second, ISO (keeping in mind some races will be at night, although well lit). What are the most important attributes for camera body and lens?

For the lens, keeping in mind the size of some of the larger tracks, I know I probably shouldn't go less than 300mm, right? Also, keeping a budget in mind, what is the max aperture f number and still achieve good results? It looks like a good 300mm with a f/2.8 is a little more expensive than I would like to spend. Could I get good results with an f/4-5.6?

Can a get a good camera body and lens, for this purpose, at a price range of $1,000 - $1,200? I would be open to any suggestions as to what make and models to consider.

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks,
    Travis
  • 08-16-2011, 09:38 PM
    noflashlight
    I'd side with the D3100--very pleased with my purchase.

@buglinbily--great pronghorn shot!

Greg
  • 08-17-2011, 07:08 AM
    zorky
    I am looking for one myself
  • 09-11-2011, 11:08 AM
    Oldhippy
    Based on what I have seen as a new entrant to dslr I wouldn't buy anything other than a Nikon. I judge camera manufacturers by their kit lenses.If the kit lense is crap how can I have any confidence in their camera ? My first step into the dslr world was to buy two used dslrs. One is a 6mp Digital Rebel and the other is an 8 mp xt. Despite their ages I can't fine tune the telephotos because they bind and jump. The only smooth turning new counter cameras I have tried to adjust successfully are Nikons. I also have an older Tamron 28-300 that came with the 6 mp Canon digital. It has smoother, quieter movement than any kit lense I have tried so far. I find it somewhat sad that I have more confidence in Tamron than any of the major camera manufacturers right now.