dSLR decision time

Printable View

• 12-01-2006, 07:09 PM
    swade
    dSLR decision time
    I am about to venture into the world of digital SLR photography as a hobby. I have been researching cameras for a year and need a little help in making a final decision. Since the primary purpose for a camera is to take photographs, the most important factor is picture quality. The second is flexibility to adapt to any circumstance that I may encounter.The camera that I have been most interested in is the Sony Alpha A100. It has the adaptibility and excellent photo quality at the lower ISO's. However, I am concerned about the noise levels at the higher ISO's. Since I anticipate primarily shooting wildlife and landscapes, will this really be an issue. Also, should it become an issue, how much would noise reduction software help. I am also considering the Canon Rebel XTi. Although the picture quality is better, I believe it is lacking the flexibility I desire. I seem to waver between these two cameras depending upon the last article I've read. Any input will be appreciated regarding these or any other camera within this realm.
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • 12-01-2006, 09:01 PM
    gryphonslair99
    Re: dSLR decision time
    swade
    You mention that you want to shoot wildlife with the Sony. I am guessing that one of the things that brought you to Sony was the in camera image stabilization. If that is so and you are looking to shoot wildlife with long (telephoto) lenses you might want to go to a camera store and try out the Sony with long telephotos. In camera IS is does not work well with long lenses. The longer length of a telephoto lens magnifies if you will the shake often past the point that in camera is can travel. If you are looking to always have the camera and lens on a tripod when using a telephoto lens, then that might not matter.

As for IQ for the two cameras you mentioned. Again, I would recomend that you go to a camera store and try them both out. The camera stores in my area will let you shoot some pictures with different lenses and upload the pictures on a computer so you can view them right there. Very helpful if you want to compare IQ at high ISO, or for just finding a good copy of a lens you are looking to buy.

I am curious, what flexability does the xti lack over the Sony?
  • 12-01-2006, 09:56 PM
    drg
    Welcome to Photography Review swade. Have you read the DSLR Reviews including the Digital Camera Pro Reviews here at PR? There is an Alpha Pro review and Photo John who runs the site owns and is using an XTi.

The comments made by gryphonslair99 about Image Stabilization are worth consideration.
    Canon's IS in the lens is really the performance standard.

One other factor that is being noted a lot about the XTi is the dust reduction/elimination feature to clean the sensor. This could be of interest to you for nature and outdoor shooting as dust is the enemy of the digital photographer!

There are several similar posts and you will probably find a lot of factors to consider just by browsing through the forums. Look in the nature forum at what most of the photographers are using.

Happy camera hunting! Looking forward to photographs with your new camera.
  • 12-02-2006, 11:22 AM
    swade
    By flexibility, I'm referring to IS and lenses. I am aware that IS has little or no effect with telephoto lenses, but the reviews seem to rave about it otherwise. The real factor is the lenses. Everyone I talk to tell me "it's all in the glass". When I read Sony, Minolta, and Zeiss in the same sentence, it gives me a head rush, which at my age could be an indication of a stroke. I was first introduced to Zeiss optics as a biology major in college. We use Zeiss microscopes because they were the best. Since then, Zeiss has extended its reputation to rifle scopes and camera lenses. Putting a Zeiss lense on an A-100 may be like putting a $100 saddle on a $10 horse, but it is an option. When I compare Sony to Canon, I see electronic and camera companies. There is no denying that Canon led the film camera industry. But Sony has been in the electronics business since the 1950's. I am trying to make a rational rather than an intuitive decision. Intutitively I'm chosing Sony and rationally I'm leaning toward the XTi. What is keeping me confused is that dpreview.com has side by side picture comparison with Sony A100 and Nikon D200, while it matchs the Rebel XTi and A100. There is a noise difference at the higher ISO's. Which brings me back to my original questions, how often will I shoot at ISO 800 or 1600 and can it be fixed by software? Does the additional features of Sony out weigh the image quality of Canon? One would think that if picture quality if primary focus, then this should be a "no brainer". But then where would we be if the brain always won over the heart? I think I am going to heed the advice of those who know and visit a camera shop while Christmas shopping today. Any additional suggestions or insight will be greatly appreciated.
  • 12-02-2006, 05:36 PM
    gryphonslair99
    Swade,

While I appreciate that a lot of good reviews have been written about the Sony the one question I have in the back of my mind is, if it was that good, why did Minolta get out of the camera business and sell it's technology to Sony? Minolta had a strong name in the camera business for many years. Sony makes good electronics, there is no doubt about that. But they are new in the digital SLR market. In the film world a few years ago, I would rate Nikon the #1 camera followed closely by Pentax and Minolta (not necessarly in that order). Canon was a distant 4th.

In the digital world it is completely different. Canon and Nikon have the lions share of the market, with good tested cameras and excelent glass. Both however have some really great glass and some not so good glass, as all camera makers do. Zeiss too has made some stinkers over the years.

With a digital slr, you are buying a system, not just a camera. I retired my nikon film cameras and went to a canon digital with the full expectation of replacing the 30D body in a couple of years with a newer, better, (possibly full frame) body. Currenty there are several upgrades available to me in Canon bodies. What current upgrade is there to the Sony? They may turn out a camera next year that puts Nikons D2 or Canon 1d(s) MarkII to shame. They may not. I guess what I am trying to say is that in digital SLR's you might want to look past today and look to your future in photography before you decide. It's good that you are taking time to look things over and do some research before you decide. Good luck.
  • 12-03-2006, 03:23 PM
    swade
    And the winner is the Canon Rebel XTi. You all have been very helpful, along with the three camera shops I visited yesterday.Will anyone suggest where to buy this camera and the lenses needed for outdoor photography? Wolf Camera has 2 lense kit special at $899. Is this any good or is there better deals out there somewhere? I read that kit lenses are not very good, but it get me into the game.
    Thanks again,
    steve
  • 12-03-2006, 05:56 PM
    pisco
    Re: IS lens
    I'm a novice, also trying to decide between the xti and the A-100, so my question might sound dumb:
    Would it be possible in the future for Sony to make IS lenses that would work with their IS sensor? (making a IS system comparable to what Canon has now).

Also, when is the best time to get a camera like this: now, a few days before christamas, right after christmas?
  • 12-03-2006, 07:38 PM
    Ronnoco
    To provide a different point of view, most cameras have problems with noise at high ISOs, but landscape photography does not require high ISOs unless you are trying to shoot after sunset or in moonlight out in lake country without a tripod. As to wildlife photography, bird photography is the most difficult but the best in that field, generally use food and "traps" that set off flashes and cameras at close range. Studies also indicate that the most shots taken by everyone: pros and amateurs alike are between 28mm and 200mm.

As to Image Stabilization, most systems whether in camera or in the lens still don't seem to go beyond a 2 fstop difference. The advantage to the Sony A100 in camera system is that the lenses become cheaper because the IS is in the camera not the lens. Excellent Zeiss lenses that are less expensive because of IS in the camera, can make a difference to the quality of a photographer's shots. The number of lenses from Minolta, Sony and eventually Zeiss will provide one heck of a lot of creative possibilities and cost factors. More buying flexiblity for the purchaser.

As for upgrading possiblities the fact that the Sony is labeled A100 indicates there will be a 200 and a 300 etc. eventually. Besides the reality is the LEDs will make LCD screens obsolete in the very near future and new chips with better noise reduction and colour technology will make all the current cameras obsolete, no matter which brand you have and how much you originally spent on it.

Ronnoco
  • 12-03-2006, 07:38 PM
    gryphonslair99
    Swade
    You might look at B&H if you are looking online for the best deals. Very reliable, fast shipping, great prices and they carry a full range of equipment. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Pisco,
    If I understand your question, you are asking if someone like Sony will ever make IS lenses that will work with a camera that already has an IS sensor inside. If that is so, I do not think that you will ever see that happen. That would be an engineering nightmare trying to get the two moving systems to work together.
  • 12-04-2006, 12:02 PM
    pisco
    thanks gryphonslair99, that was my question, and your anwser makes sence. Anyways, I still think that I'll get A-100
  • 12-05-2006, 01:05 PM
    Medley
    Swade, I've discovered a Photoshop noise reduction technique that works very well in conjunction with my Rebel XT. Which version of Photoshop doesn't matter much, but it does require a foray into the LAB colorspace. It's a bit too detailed to go into here, but if you're interested you can e-mail me at Tandemduo280@comcast.net

-Joe U.
  • 12-05-2006, 06:51 PM
    danag42
    You might also look at the Pentax K10D. It's probably the most robust sub-$1000 DSLR, and it has an improved shake reduction;

The other advantage is that it can use old lenses, and meter through them. You don't get any auto functions that the lens wasn't designed for, but there are a lot of K mount lenses floating around on the used market. Not to mention those exquisite screw-mount Zeiss and Takumar lenses.

But any of the current DSLR's will give you excellent results, there are really no "bad" cameras out there. Find something that sits your hand, your shooting style, and your intended use.

You'll do fine no matter which one you pick!