Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

difference from slr and advanced point and shoot

Im a beginner to photography, i have jus been using my old digital camera but i am looking to purchase something a little bit more expensive. I was wondering whats the main differences between advanced point and shoots, and the SLR cameras. If you have any recomendations on cameras, im only interested in digital.

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: difference from slr and advanced point and shoot

Quote Originally Posted by jessepizzles
    Im a beginner to photography, i have jus been using my old digital camera but i am looking to purchase something a little bit more expensive. I was wondering whats the main differences between advanced point and shoots, and the SLR cameras. If you have any recomendations on cameras, im only interested in digital.
    A DSLR will give you much better image quality, high quality high ISO shots, and versatility. The downside is that it takes a lot more photographic knowledge to use, is much more expensive, and heavier and bulkier to carry.

Based on your short question, you would probably be better off with a P&S. It will do pretty much anything you want, it's smaller and simpler to use, and requires little, if any, post-processing. The image quality won't be as good but you have to specifically look for the differences in most cases. High ISOs are usually pretty bad.Try them out at a store and get one with a short shutter lag. IS is also a good option.

I have both a P&S and a DSLR and use each one about equally depending upon what I'm working with.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli
    A DSLR will give you much better image quality, high quality high ISO shots, and versatility. The downside is that it takes a lot more photographic knowledge to use, is much more expensive, and heavier and bulkier to carry..
    I would have to say that I have seen some fantastic (quite printable) shots from P&S cameras. The range of creativity however is limited by the P&S camera.

The biggest advantage to an SLR over a P&S is the range of lenses and accessories that you have available. All of which add to the creativity you have in photography. If you want to take wildlife pictures, you will never find a P&S with the equvilent of a 500 or 600MM telephoto. I don't know of any P&S with true, built in 1:1 macro capabilites. Most P&S cameras do not have a true ultra wide range either. The list is almost endless when it comes to creativity with an SLR over a P&S.

If you are truely interested in moving up to a DSLR, you might check out your local college or junior college and see if they offer some sort of photography classes. You will most likely learn on a film SLR, but almost everthing you learn, other than processing your film, will be relevant if you decide to go digital. Good luck

I have both- A Canon A520 point and shoot and a Canon Digital Rebel XT. The obvious difference is 4mp vs 8mp. Therefore, the Rebel takes better pictures. But all-in-all, I use the A520 more. It's my everyday "snapshot" camera. It's lightweight, and compact enough to go anywhere. Heck, my 4 year old nephew takes decent pictures with it. There are 8mp point and shoots out there now, and I really should consider upgrading.

Picture quality aside, the next biggest advantage (to me, anyway) of my Rebel is the burst rate. With the A520, I get one picture every three or four seconds, due to the memory lag time. With the Rebel, I can take 3 shots/second for around 5 seconds before it starts to slow down. If action shots are a consideration (and with a 4 year old, action shots are ALWAYS a consideration...), then look into the DSLR's.

In the end, it comes down to what type of pictures you take, and what features are important to you. Hope this helps.

-Joe U.

Thread Information