Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Which DSLR from Canon/Nikon within 500$

Hi guys!

I am an absolute starter in the field of Photography. Infact I am not a photographer but like photography as a hobby, not profession. At present I have a Sony P200 P&S camera and am planning to buy a DSLR either from Canon or Nikon with a budget of Rs.20000 to Rs.30000 (400$ to 500$).

I prefer a Canon and want something that wouldnt be too difficult for a starter as well as something that can cater me even after I get some experience, not something that after some days of experience will give me an impression of a low end camera.

So all you experienced guys, please recommend me a good camera in this range.

Thanks.

Prices in Rupees

Quote Originally Posted by go4saket
    Hi guys!

I am an absolute starter in the field of Photography. Infact I am not a photographer but like photography as a hobby, not profession. At present I have a Sony P200 P&S camera and am planning to buy a DSLR either from Canon or Nikon with a budget of Rs.20000 to Rs.30000 (400$ to 500$).

I prefer a Canon and want something that wouldnt be too difficult for a starter as well as something that can cater me even after I get some experience, not something that after some days of experience will give me an impression of a low end camera.

So all you experienced guys, please recommend me a good camera in this range.

Thanks.
    Prices vary over the world so I checked out some Indian web sites :

Nikon D60+lens or Canon 1000D+lens = about 30000 Rupees
    Nikon 40D+lens = about 20000 Rupees
    Nikon D80+lens = about 51000 Rupees

Normally if someone wants a nice quality camera then we would point them towards a medium-range system like the Nikon D80, D90, Canon 40D, 50D - out of your budget.

With your budget you're looking at the entry-level cameras. At the top end of your range you have the latest models (Nikon D60, Canon 1000D). These have many of the same components as the medium range but some components are simplified:

- fewer focussing zones
    - small viewfinder
    - fewer buttons. You can often to the same thing as with the medium-range cameras but you have to plunge into a menu to set it up
    - kit lens with limited zoom range (18-55) made mostly out of plastic. Often a decent performer but it doesn't feel like a quality job
    - mostly plastic body without weather sealing, feels more or less solid

Towards the bottom end of the range you have recently-discontinued models which are very similar to the current model but don't have quite the same features (Nikon D40, D40X, Canon 350D..)

Several of my collegues (respectable family men) have bought the Nikon D40 and they have been delighted with it. I have just added the D60 to my collection and I am very impressed with it. It doesn't seem like a cheap camera.

HOWEVER I bought my D60 with a good lens (16-85 - the whole kit cost me 1000 Euros = 63000 Rupees and it was a bargain..). Last weekend I lent my camera to a girl with a D40x+18-55 and she really wanted that lens. I guess that many people who are frustrated with their low-end camera are actually dissatisfied with the lens.

Check out the review section to see what real users think of the cameras + lenses I've mentioned
    Last edited by Franglais; 11-01-2008 at 06:56 AM.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Which DSLR from Canon/Nikon within 500$

If you want to make a one time purchase with that budget, you may want to look into the Sony DSC-R1. Its not an SLR, but it has an APS sized CMOS sensor and a spectacular lens, so you have the image quality benefit of SLR. If you are making the one time purchase with that budget, you wont match the quality of the R1 with any DSLR. If you plan on spending some more money in the future on good lens, you may want to stick with SLR though. Its at the top of your budget, about $500+.

Ok guys, I really appreciate all your help till now. I really wanted to take a Canon EOS 40D but it goes off my budget. So I guess I am left with only 3 models:

Canon EOS 1000D Rebel XS (Kit)
    Canon EOS 450D Rebel XSi (Kit)
    Nikon D60 (Kit)

Moreover, Canon cameras have CMOS sensor while Nikon has CCD. Which is better out of the two?

Now, please recommend me as to which is the best amongst these three.

Guys, in India, Canon EOS 450D Rebel XSi comes for Rs.44000 ($880) with bill and warranty and in Rs.32000 ($640) without bill and warranty. Now tell me, is it worth spending the extra amount for warranty or should I opt for one without warranty.

Going without warranty means as soon as I take the camera out of the store, its all my responsibility. As of now, I am planning to go for one without warranty as the price tag with warranty goes off my budget. So please also tell me as to what all things should I check and take care of before doing the payments.

I am planning to buy a Canon XSi 450D. With this camera, I am getting a 18-55MM Lens in the kit. I just wanted to know what actually does this 18-55 MM means and more importantly, weather or not this lens has any zoom and if yes, how much.

racing > all

450 (xsi). can be had for a lot less than the MSRP of $799.99 for the 18-55 IS kit. I got mine, plus a 55-250 IS lens, plus shipping and insurance for $860.30.

A little over your budget, but good enough equipment that it will be your last camera purchase for awhile.
    98 Cobra - AI racecar - 300HP, lots of suspension

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi (450D)
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

So long as you credit me as the original photographer, go to town with my work. You can't make it any worse.

Thank you everyone for all your valuable suggestions. I finally took a Canon EOS 1000D with a kit lens. I wanted to go for a 450D but it was going a bit above my budget, so went for 1000D as I am just a starter.

The first piece that I took had some defects and it was really nice of the seller who replaced the whole set after 5 days of my purchase.

What I couldnt understand is that after purchasing a sealed packed piece, when I took the first snap, it was numbered 879. I guess a new camera should start with 001.
    Secondly, as the kit lens didnt had a IS, most of my pictures get shaked, may be because I dont have a very stable hand. Any recommendation for that.

Last but not the least, even after taking a picture from a tripod, the picture doesnt seem to be very sharp. What I mean is when I used to take pics from my old Sony P200 P&S, it used to capture amazing skin details which this camera doesnt. I believe a bigger sensor should capture much more details. Am I going wrong some where?

Thread Information