Which DSLR?

Printable View

• 06-24-2011, 12:46 PM
    mmkkcamera
    Which DSLR?
    I also need advice on purchasing a DSLR.

I currently shoot with a Konica Minolta Dimage A200, which has a fixed 7x optical lense (28 - 200 mm equiv) & has a F2.8 - F3.5 range. The max ISO is 800.

My reason for upgrading my camera is to shoot indoor low-light situations better (like in churches and school auditoriums) and to capture high school sports action.

I am looking at the Nikon D3100 or the Canon Ti2. Any thoughts on these or other cameras to consider?

I would also appreciate knowing if a 200mm lense for a DSLR would get me better results then the lens my current camera has.

Thanks so much!
  • 06-24-2011, 04:53 PM
    volks
    Re: Which DSLR?
    Both cameras are nice starters. Small and light and simple to use.
    The one thing you may want to consider at the onset is what lenses you might eventually end up with and if they suit either camera. For example, the Nikon D3100 may not feel right with a heavy zoom lens should you ever want one later on.
  • 06-24-2011, 06:31 PM
    Anbesol
    Yes, another 200mm lens is ideal for your use. For a pretty penny you can get the 70-200 f/2.8 (for any of the mounts), or if you are on a tighter budget, look at a 70-200 f/4 range. Different brands have slight differences

I've personally used the Minolta A200 a lot, its quite a camera and a joy to use. But it is quite old in ISO technology, and it does also sound like you would greatly benefit from the faster AF of a DSLR, as well as the better ISO.

But, in order to really experience any benefit from the upgrade, you should have a fast lens with some reach. F/4 or faster, and 200mm or longer.
  • 06-24-2011, 07:21 PM
    OldClicker
    As others have implied, to do indoor sports you are going to be sopending more for the lens than the camera. - TF