Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

ANyone ever try one of those adapters to use a SD card in a CF camera?

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried one of those?

SD to CF adapter

Tel

Re: ANyone ever try one of those adapters to use a SD card in a CF camera?

I've heard about em. I wouldnt get one though, for a couple reasons. One, It might not work in your camera (Most Likely it would, but theres always a chance it wont) and the fact that at like 50$ American, It wouldnt really pay off. I mean, Unless you have like 500 SD cards sitting around, its not really that worth it.

The only Pro I really see is that SD cards are smaller. But thats not that big of a deal.

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

It's doubtfull they would work, there isn't enough space, and most cameras require the card door to close or they won't operate.
    Thats one of the many nice features of the Canon 1DMKII N as it can use CF or SD or both at the same time

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Thats one of the many nice features of the Canon 1DMKII N as it can use CF or SD or both at the same time

JS

Too bad Nikon and their "infinite wisdom" didnt do that with their new cameras. Rather annoying that if I wanted to get a new NIkon, unless I went with the D200 (which is one of my options or just switch back to Canons), I'd have to get new SD cards. It was rather stupid on Nikons part to switch to SD on the D80

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    It's doubtfull they would work, there isn't enough space, and most cameras require the card door to close or they won't operate.

JS
    Why wouldn't it fit? The SD card fits into the CF adapter and then the CF adapter fits in a CF slot. The CF adapter is the same size as a CF card so the door would close.

The website says it's fully compatible even with the newer SD cards and maintains the speed of the original SD card too.

If you had several SD cards and a CF camera, it might be a viable option if you didn't want to purchase new CF cards.

Tim
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Tel

I just realised, this is for people who say... used to have a D50, but just got a D70, Or something where they used to use SD, and are now using CF. They could just get this, and not have to buy new cards.

Now what I wanna see, is a CF to SD. XD

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

SD is smaller than CF so it fits inside the shell of the adapter. The problem, is that the newer cards are always smaller than the new ones.

That means you can probably go backwards (use SD in CF slot) but not the other way (CF in SD camera.

Since there's plenty of room for CF cards in the new DSLR's, I suspect it's another instance of planned obsolescence.

Thread Information