Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Executive Consultant

Cool Digital SLR vs Film...

Hello to everyone,
    Yes, I know, there are hundreds of comparisons made, but I could not resist to add my own one on my website at http://www.gnyman.com - you need to get past the initial first page to the index.....- nothing fancy, just a few shots with various digital SLR's (Nikon, Canon) compared to 35mm film. Quite interesting to see how the Canon 20D compares to the Nikon D70S in real life and how almost perfect the Nikon D2X is compared to the Canon 1D MkII.....
    email me if you have got questions - Enjoy!

Re: Digital SLR vs Film...

An interesting comparison. There appears to be a halo around the street lamp and the left part of the building roof on the 20D and D70s images. That's not something I would expect from either camera. There also appears to be differences between the F100 images. Is there a reason for that? And how did you create each photo set? Are they scanned from prints? There are some unknown variables here that I'd like explained.

There's a lot of interesting stuff on your site. And I noticed you've posted a couple of reviews, including the only Alpa Swiss review! I hope this is the beginning of you participating more on the site.. That would be great!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Executive Consultant

Let me answer in sequence to your questions:
    1. All F100 images are the same, taken from one and the same shot at the same day, scanned in and cropped. I have no explanation for perceived differences between these shots.
    2. Yes there is visible halo for both, the 20D as well as the D70s - both images show this halo, it was surprising for me as well. The images were always shot in highest possible quality (raw) and processed the same way in Photoshop.
    3. No, the sets have not been scanned from prints, I did everything in Photoshop. That's also why all F100 shots are identical as I took one cropped shot and cut/paste it into the other shots.
    In general, I was disappointed with both, the 20D and the D70s if you think about the noise which is made about them. In my opinion, the only really good camera is the D2X but this is a different class of equipment. Do also not forget, that the crop is showing a minute part of the entire image - a scenario, which is not common for most users. I will post some more photos, taken on Alpa and Pentax 645 with Fuji Velvia...one should be surprised...just look at the Alpa shot with 400ASA, which I added a few minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    An interesting comparison. There appears to be a halo around the street lamp and the left part of the building roof on the 20D and D70s images. That's not something I would expect from either camera. There also appears to be differences between the F100 images. Is there a reason for that? And how did you create each photo set? Are they scanned from prints? There are some unknown variables here that I'd like explained.

There's a lot of interesting stuff on your site. And I noticed you've posted a couple of reviews, including the only Alpa Swiss review! I hope this is the beginning of you participating more on the site.. That would be great!

Nice of you to do this. But the lens selection is not equal between the 1DMKII and D2X. You are putting up a high quality Nikon lens, against a questionable Canon prosumer lens. And I used to shoot Nikon film, and do not want to get into a brand war. I would like to see the equivelant test with some "L" glass on the Canon. Not to be nit picky, but why not. And I do own the 1DMKII and 20D.

Mike

On edit: Even at 8mp, the Canon 20D and 1DMKII will eat a lesser quality lens for lunch, just as a 1DsMKII will. Been there, done that.
    Last edited by Mohawk; 07-07-2005 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Wante to add...

Executive Consultant

Regarding your comment, that the comparison is not fair as I used the Canon 20-35mm lens - there is nothing wrong with this lens because I used only a small part in the center of the field of view. This means that the optical correction there is excellent, distortion is of no interest in the center, vignetting neither and as you might know also the lateral color is of no interest in the center, nor is coma or astigmatism.
    For these reasons I have used a small center crop and not anything further out...
    rgds gnnyman

Quote Originally Posted by gnnyman
    Hello to everyone,
    Yes, I know, there are hundreds of comparisons made, but I could not resist to add my own one on my website at http://www.gnyman.com - you need to get past the initial first page to the index.....- nothing fancy, just a few shots with various digital SLR's (Nikon, Canon) compared to 35mm film. Quite interesting to see how the Canon 20D compares to the Nikon D70S in real life and how almost perfect the Nikon D2X is compared to the Canon 1D MkII.....
    email me if you have got questions - Enjoy!
    Hi man , thanks for the link ,I guess that the comparisons of the Canon 20D to the Nikon D70S is belonged to 2005.... but it's nice to see that it keeps updating it self - lots of useful information

I just get a load of ads in French. Where is the Index?
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    I just get a load of ads in French. Where is the Index?

Ditto....except not in French. Can you provide a direct link?

Thanks,
    Paul

Thread Information