Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Liz

Ordered Rebel XT from B&H

I'm so excited about this camera. I just ordered it from B&H - actually it is a pre-order. Shipment should be about the 20th - but by the end of the month anyway. I got my Rebel 300D from B&H - and get all my equipment from them (or 99% of it).

I can't wait until this camera arrives!

Liz

Re: Ordered Rebel XT from B&H

Great! Definitely looks like a worthwhile upgrade from the first one. By the way, anyone know of a review that compares it to the 20D?

I just pre ordered mine from Amazon.com so I understand how you must feel. This is my first DSLR. I got approval from my business finance depart (meaning my husband) to buy one just a day before the press release came out. I am sure it was the convincing argument of all the money I would save on the film and processing fee for the senior photos I do and how it would increase my profit margin that convinced him. I was going to get a 6.3 mp Rebel instead of the D20 so I could still afford the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens I wanted the timing couldn't have been better. The lens from B & H came in yesterday now if I can contain myself until the XT arrives.
    If every morning when you wake your goal is to straighten out people, you probably should be a funeral director. - Charles Lowery

Liz

now if I can contain myself until the XT arrives.

Yep! That's my question of the month too!

Congratulations!

Liz

Liz

I have seen "personal" comparisons in various places, but not an official comparison. I'm sure it won't be long now.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Arctirus
    Great! Definitely looks like a worthwhile upgrade from the first one. By the way, anyone know of a review that compares it to the 20D?

Here is a link to Bob Atkins Photography gives a run down of basics on each camera.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...xt_vs_20d.html
    If every morning when you wake your goal is to straighten out people, you probably should be a funeral director. - Charles Lowery

Quote Originally Posted by Stina
    Here is a link to Bob Atkins Photography gives a run down of basics on each camera.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...xt_vs_20d.html
    Cool, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I'm so excited about this camera. I just ordered it from B&H - actually it is a pre-order. Shipment should be about the 20th - but by the end of the month anyway. I got my Rebel 300D from B&H - and get all my equipment from them (or 99% of it).

I can't wait until this camera arrives!

Liz
    Hey! Congrats. Anticipaaaation...

(so how much do you want for that old peice of junk it's replacing??)

Edit - Liz, I just re-read my reply and now realize how poorly my sad attempt at humor came across. I know your old camera is not a piece of junk and that it was well cared for. I'm sorry I posted with out thinking very well.
    Last edited by Chunk; 03-05-2005 at 07:47 AM.

Liz

Talking Re: Ordered Rebel XT from B&H

Hey there Chunk!

No apologies necessary. ;)

It made me smile! And, I have a buyer! But you should be able to find a Rebel 300 at a pretty reasonable price as soon as the XT comes out.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Hey! Congrats. Anticipaaaation...

(so how much do you want for that old peice of junk it's replacing??)

Edit - Liz, I just re-read my reply and now realize how poorly my sad attempt at humor came across. I know your old camera is not a piece of junk and that it was well cared for. I'm sorry I posted with out thinking very well.

Thanks Liz. I do think I'll pick one up. The panasonic has some good features but it also has some limitations that I'm finding. I guess one thing to pay attention to on used rebels would be the software onboard?

Liz

I guess one thing to pay attention to on used rebels would be the software onboard?

The Canon software isn't necessary unless you don't have a card reader. However, it also comes with the PSElements2 which is wonderful (I've used it for quite a while).

I would be sure to get a "like new" version, with everything included in the box. You might try KEH.com - or B&H for prices on used Rebels. You might have to wait until the Rebel XT actually hits the stores big time before the Rebel 300's come rolling in.

Also you might try Ebay.

Liz

Congrads on the camera, Liz! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Chunk, you don't need any software to use it - other than an editing program like Photoshop. You will need a RAW converter (from Canon or Photoshop CS) if you want to shoot RAW files though. You could even use whatever viewing program you've already got with your compact digital. I don't use any of the Fuji software that came with mine - works fine with Nikon View. You could also just "copy" the files off the CF card too. Definately get a card reader - USB2 if you have it, or it's a good reason to install a USB2 card. They're very inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I guess one thing to pay attention to on used rebels would be the software onboard?

The Canon software isn't necessary unless you don't have a card reader.
    Liz and Steve too, thanks for the replies. I guess I mispoke as I should have said firmware rather than software. Hasn't there been an important upgrade somewhere along the line? If so, can the older cameras be upgraded? Or am I confused about the Drebel?

Liz

Smile Re: Ordered Rebel XT from B&H

Maybe Steve can be more specific, but I know you can upgrade them if necessary. I think there was only one upgrade, but not sure. Either way, you can check it on the camera - and upgrade it too - and Canon can tell you how to do that. Actually people around here undoubtedly know how to do that. I saw directions somewhere on the net. I know it's very easy - I just never did it. ;)

Chunk - the other thing is that you can check all this out wherever you get the camera. A reputable dealer with a knowledgeable salesman will check it for you - and if you buy it from someone else, they should know. The later models don't need any upgrades. I don't think there have been any recent upgrades.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Liz and Steve too, thanks for the replies. I guess I mispoke as I should have said firmware rather than software. Hasn't there been an important upgrade somewhere along the line? If so, can the older cameras be upgraded? Or am I confused about the Drebel?

Thread Information