Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Digital Copy Degradation

If you copy pictures from your camera to a CD, do you lose some picture quality? Every time you copy a picture and it goes to 2nd generation, 3rd generation, etc are you losing quality? Is it best to print directly from the CF card? If I print directly from the CF card, then copy the CF card to a CD, and then print from the CD, will I see any differance?

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: Digital Copy Degradation

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in OKC
    If you copy pictures from your camera to a CD, do you lose some picture quality? Every time you copy a picture and it goes to 2nd generation, 3rd generation, etc are you losing quality? Is it best to print directly from the CF card? If I print directly from the CF card, then copy the CF card to a CD, and then print from the CD, will I see any differance?
    Digital copies are just 0s and 1s. Unlike analog, there is no degradation when you copy a file no matter how many times you do it.

If you are using a lossy format such as jpgs, you lose quality every time you save an image after loading it into an image editing program. When editing, change the jpegs to a lossless format such as TIFF before you save any editing.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Re: Digital Copy Degradation

Jpegs are the only files that I know of that have this problem. If you save any file, including a jpeg, from the camera to a CD you'll be OK. The problem comes when you edit the original and save it over and over. You could even re-save it two or three times and not even notice the difference as long as you're not trying to make a really big print and leave the quality level as high as you can.

In Photoshop, there are different quality levels the file can be saved at, from 1 to 12. I usually use 12 which still compresses the file a little, unless it's posting something on the web and that gets an 8.

The best alternative is to save that jpeg shot in the digital camera as a tiff file - save as many times as you want and it won't lose any data. However, the file sizes are huge.

Thread Information