Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Is the digital Canon Rebel XT worth buying?

I've found a number of them on eBay ranging from $600-$1000 depending on what they come with, and am very interested in getting one. From what i've heard, they're pretty nice cameras. I'd like to get an XTI, but i'm just starting to get into photography, and I figure this will be a good learning camera. I'm currently shooting with an Olympus C-2100 UZ, and it HAS to go.

If anyone could give me any tips on if this camera is worth the money, and worth using to start out, let me know. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Check the new price

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade
    I've found a number of them on eBay ranging from $600-$1000 depending on what they come with, and am very interested in getting one. From what i've heard, they're pretty nice cameras. I'd like to get an XTI, but i'm just starting to get into photography, and I figure this will be a good learning camera. I'm currently shooting with an Olympus C-2100 UZ, and it HAS to go.

If anyone could give me any tips on if this camera is worth the money, and worth using to start out, let me know. Thanks. :thumbsup:
    I clicked on the Adorama icon, searched for two seconds and found a range of NEW Rebel XT's with and without lenses from $399 to 799$. Bearing in mind that the EBAY cameras are used I would divide the EBAY prices you quote by half and even then I would rather buy a new one - if I was shooting Canon instead of Nikon. The Rebel XT is a very capable camera and if that's what you want then go ahead and go ahead and buy a new one.

Charles

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Is the digital Canon Rebel XT worth buying?

Welcome to the Forum. I have never shot with the XT, but I do have the original DRebel. The XT is a very capable camera and there are many members here who use it. There are a few here who started with the XT, and upgraded to the XTi so hopefully they will post there thoughts here for you as well. I would highly recomend going to a store to get your hands on the camera before you buy it. The XT is very small, and may not feel very good in your hands. I'm not saying small is bad, but if you have large hands, a small camera may feel odd. If you do a lot of hiking and that sort of thing, the small, lightweight XT may be just the ticket. Like I said, go to a store and get your hands on it before you buy. Be sure to check out the other models by other companies too. One may feel better in your hands than the Canon's do.

You should also check the Dealer Feedback section on this site. There have been some threads about ebay dealers in the past.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

...I'd like to get an XTI, but i'm just starting to get into photography...

A lot of people I know personally upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. Most haven't even come close to using their existing equipment to their full potential before moving "up". I would guess that the average time before people upgrade cameras is 2~3 years.

Since you consider yourself a beginner, you need to ask yourself if you think you will need (i.e. outlearn) the XT within 2~3 years. If you are a very quick study and avid shooter, than maybe yes. But like most people, 2~3 years will give you time to learn the craft and know exactly what it is that you need out of your next camera.

Oh, yes welcome to PR. I hope you'll find us helpful.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Buy It!

The XT will be great! If you're learning, you might as well save some money and use it on a good lens instead. The main benefits of the XTi are the auto focus system and the dust reduction system. The rest of it won't make that much difference in the quality of your photos. And unless you're going to be changing lenses a lot in dusty environments, I think the XT will serve you well. It certainly won't hold you back.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Check the new price

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    I clicked on the Adorama icon, searched for two seconds and found a range of NEW Rebel XT's with and without lenses from $399 to 799$. Bearing in mind that the EBAY cameras are used I would divide the EBAY prices you quote by half and even then I would rather buy a new one - if I was shooting Canon instead of Nikon. The Rebel XT is a very capable camera and if that's what you want then go ahead and go ahead and buy a new one.

Charles
    I was actually looking at the new ones, not the used or refurbished ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    A lot of people I know personally upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. Most haven't even come close to using their existing equipment to their full potential before moving "up". I would guess that the average time before people upgrade cameras is 2~3 years.

Since you consider yourself a beginner, you need to ask yourself if you think you will need (i.e. outlearn) the XT within 2~3 years. If you are a very quick study and avid shooter, than maybe yes. But like most people, 2~3 years will give you time to learn the craft and know exactly what it is that you need out of your next camera.

Oh, yes welcome to PR. I hope you'll find us helpful.
    Good point.

And to the poster before this, i messed with a Rebel XT at a store a while ago, and I liked it. The size doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

For that price on ebay you are probably looking at different kits....bags,tripods,cards, etc.
    The items sold in the kit packages aren't worth the extra money and you can get better items cheaper and get what you want.
    Also to buy on ebay MAKE SURE you buy from authorized dealers if you want a manufacturer warranty. Their prices may be a bit higher but you'll get quality and service.
    I bought from completephotohouse and got very good service and am sure the other authorized dealers give good service.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Yeah. I'm kind of debating now. I hit that Adorama link, and found them at eBay prices, with guarenteed warrentys.

Is that Adorama place a reliable source?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Yeah. I'm kind of debating now. I hit that Adorama link, and found them at eBay prices, with guarenteed warrentys.

Is that Adorama place a reliable source?
    Adorama is a very reliable source for gear, as is B&H. Both of these dealers are great and will have just about ANYTHING you will want when it comes to photography gear. If you link to either one of those sites from the links here PR.com, it will support this sight.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I just bought my Xt at Circuit City during Thanksgiving for $609.32 including sales tax.

Quote Originally Posted by mpreece
    I just bought my Xt at Circuit City during Thanksgiving for $609.32 including sales tax.
    What kind of lense did it come with? And what's the warrenty, lenght wise?

mwt

I have had my XT for almost a year and I am still learning something about it everyday.

It is a great camera and will let you do what you want from full control of your shots to letting you experiment step by step. The automatic modes take great pictures

I am a big guy and one of the best things I did was buy a battery grip for it. The grip made it feel so much better and more manageable for me.

Mike

I just bought a 350D yesterday from my friend for $200...I don't like it because it doesn't fit in my hand. When I do hold it, it doesn't feel "secure" in my hand. I probably couldn't use a D40 either.

I might put it on eBay or take offers soon.

I'll stick with my D50

Thread Information