Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Tokina 12-24mm lens - does your lens hit your filter at 24mm?

Hi,

I've been using my D50 with its 18-55 kit lens and the cheapie 55-200 for a while, and felt it was time to get a couple of new pieces of glass. The first one I wanted was an ultra-wide zoom, so I went with the Tokina 12-24. Great reviews, half the cost of the Nikon, and I tested it and liked it.

The first thing I did was install a 77mm Hoya UV0 filter. Then I started taking pictures and playing around, and noticed that while I felt a positive stop when turning the zoom to the 12mm end, the stop at 24mm was much softer. I didn't think much of it and forgot.

Tonight I was looking at it a little more closely and noticed the outer lens element moves when zoomed, along with its mounting ring - which was moving very close to the outside of the lens. So I removed my filter, and sure enough, I could feel a clearer stop when zooming in to 24mm.

To anyone else who owns this lens, have you noticed this? I'm almost positive it's just the outer element ring hitting the bottom of the filter threads, and not the centre of the element smacking the filter glass itself.

I'm not really sure if this is bad or not, just an observation. It's slightly annoying, but I reckon I'll live with it.

Brian

PS - next up is the 18-200 VR....I'm excited!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Tokina 12-24mm lens - does your lens hit your filter at 24mm?

Thanks for pointing this out. I have this lens (Canon mount) and I never even noticed that before. After looking at it last night, I think your are right about the outer ring hitting the bottom of the filter threads, so I'm not too worried about it. I am going to pay closer attention to what I'm doing when I put my polarizer on this lens from now on. . To avoid this, you could only screw the filter on part way, but then you risk having it fall off...

If you zoom this lens all the way to 24mm, you can clearly see that the lens outer ring covers about 1/2 of the filter threads. It's hard to tell by looking at the lens, if the glass sticks out farrther than the plastic ring that the glass is mounted in.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information