• 07-17-2007, 01:41 PM
    Clarkey1972
    Depth of Field / Nikon D50
    Hi there
    I am fairly new to the digi SLR world......

Can anyone help me trying to get some DOF in my shots. I use it mainly for fishing trophy shots or portraits of the kids and only have the standard lense 18-55 that came with it.

Using my old 35mm SLR using a low F no usually got me the desired affect but i am really struggling and know if its a problems with low end digi's or the lense needs changing.

If so can anyone recommend a good lense?

Thanks in advance

Rich
  • 07-17-2007, 03:44 PM
    deckcadet
    Re: Depth of Field / Nikon D50
    Hi Rich,

Depth of field is a term that describes a property of the technical execution of a photo, but without the appropriate modifier in front I can't tell what result it is that you're aiming for. Are you trying to have shallow depth of field and isolate the subject?

Greater depth of field will occur with a wider focal length and/or a focus distance nearer to infinity, and with a smaller aperture (bigger f/ number).
    Less depth of field, and thus greater isolation, is more easily achieved with a wider aperture (small f/number), longer focal length, and closer focus distance.

You might want to try shooting with a wide open aperture, at the middle or longer end of your zoom range, at a closer distance than you usually do.
    Remember the crop factor of digital gives you the impression of shooting with a longer lens on film but the lens properties remain the same. It's probably more related to the lens than anything else.

What lens did you shoot with before?

You could also try and buy a faster lens, such as the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF (about $100), shoot that at moderately close distances at f/2.8 or so (to preserve some areas in focus and enhance sharpness) , or you could buy a longer lens. Many consumer telephoto zooms are either slow or expensive (or both), so you may wish to consider a telephoto prime such as the 85mm f/1.8D AF, which is reasonably fast in operation, offers a ton of creative control because of its wide max aperture, and isn't too expensive.

On the higher end of the price range you hit the 70-300mm VR ( good lens but slow aperture, though it makes up for this for your shallow DOF shots with its longer focal length), 180mm f/2.8D AF, and the 80-200mm f/2.8D.
  • 07-18-2007, 01:04 AM
    Clarkey1972
    Harrison

Thanks for your reply...wish I understood it !

My current lense only goes down to 3.5 max and I think this could be where the problem lies.

I'll have a look around for some of the lenses you mention, though they will be at least double the price here in the UK

Thanks again

Rich
  • 07-18-2007, 06:46 AM
    deckcadet
    Also remember the other things I said- keep your subject close and your focal length ( zoom) at the long end. Take into account the focal length you like shooting at.
  • 07-18-2007, 07:14 PM
    gryphonslair99