Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    My name is Alex, not Eric ;)

D70s or slightly used 20D in excellent condition

So I was pretty much set on getting the Nikon D70s this week untill I came across a excellent condtion used 20D on Adorama. The 20D comes with an 18-55 lens, orginal accesories and box for $1124. I'm pretty much starting from scratch. I have a Nikon N75 with one 28-80 lens but I don't have any other Nikon accesories. I like to shoot car races and low light landscape stuff and I heard the 20D is better for this. The Nikon D70s kit I was thinking of getting was the one off of B&H that had a 18-70 and 55-200 lens for $1280. Buying either one is going to use up my budget I have set aside for a camera. I don't mind not having a long zoom lens at first is the 20D is going to be a better camera in the end. Any input on this would be great because I plan on placing my order sometime tomorrow so I can hopefully use the camera by this next weekend.

Re: D70s or slightly used 20D in excellent condition

Quote Originally Posted by BMWJNKY
    So I was pretty much set on getting the Nikon D70s this week untill I came across a excellent condtion used 20D on Adorama. The 20D comes with an 18-55 lens, orginal accesories and box for $1124. I'm pretty much starting from scratch. I have a Nikon N75 with one 28-80 lens but I don't have any other Nikon accesories. I like to shoot car races and low light landscape stuff and I heard the 20D is better for this. The Nikon D70s kit I was thinking of getting was the one off of B&H that had a 18-70 and 55-200 lens for $1280. Buying either one is going to use up my budget I have set aside for a camera. I don't mind not having a long zoom lens at first is the 20D is going to be a better camera in the end. Any input on this would be great because I plan on placing my order sometime tomorrow so I can hopefully use the camera by this next weekend.
    The 20D is better than the D70S. It has more pixels (8Mpix rather than 6MPix), less noise, goes to 3200 ISO, faster frames/second, better viewfinder - it's a true semi-pro model. However the 18-55 is not such a good lens as the 18-70 and you would probably want to replace it with something more "noble" (and expensive) in the not too distant future. It's also useless for shooting car races unless you're right next to the track.

People say the replacement for the 20D is going to be announced today, but nobody knows what it is going to be.

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    The 20D is better than the D70S. It has more pixels (8Mpix rather than 6MPix), less noise, goes to 3200 ISO, faster frames/second, better viewfinder - it's a true semi-pro model. However the 18-55 is not such a good lens as the 18-70 and you would probably want to replace it with something more "noble" (and expensive) in the not too distant future. It's also useless for shooting car races unless you're right next to the track.

People say the replacement for the 20D is going to be announced today, but nobody knows what it is going to be.

Charles
    Thanks for the info. I know how limiting the lens is for racing type stuff from trying to use my 28-80 on my N75 at the races.

Did You Buy Yet?

Did you already buy something? If so, what? I would go with the used 20D, unless you just really, really want to own a Nikon. I don't think the extra 2-megapixels of resolution is that big of a deal, if you prefer the Nikon. I like the Nikon viewfinders, LCDs, and feel much better than Canon. But in the end I'd still prefer a Canon - especially for sports. I will admit to a bias, though. I've been using Canon for years. Still, if you go to any motorsports event you'd going to see more pros with Canons than Nikons. It's been that way for over 10-15 years. No matter what you do, you're going to want a new lens. But you'll always want a new lens. That never ends
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Did You Buy Yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Did you already buy something? If so, what? I would go with the used 20D, unless you just really, really want to own a Nikon. I don't think the extra 2-megapixels of resolution is that big of a deal, if you prefer the Nikon. I like the Nikon viewfinders, LCDs, and feel much better than Canon. But in the end I'd still prefer a Canon - especially for sports. I will admit to a bias, though. I've been using Canon for years. Still, if you go to any motorsports event you'd going to see more pros with Canons than Nikons. It's been that way for over 10-15 years. No matter what you do, you're going to want a new lens. But you'll always want a new lens. That never ends
    I ended up getting a new 20D from B&H for only $35 more than Adaroma wanted for their used one. Now I'm saving up for a decent zoom lens for it because the 18-55 that came with it is not going to do what I need it to.

70-200 f/4L - that's the answer.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information