D70 Post

Printable View

• 07-27-2004, 09:46 PM
    StillMrFitz
    1 Attachment(s)
    D70 Post
    Straight from the D70 - ISO 320 - Kit lens.
  • 07-28-2004, 05:21 PM
    Photo-John
    Cool
    I like the worker with the mailbox head. Is he a good digger?
  • 07-28-2004, 07:38 PM
    jokola
    How come...
    I can never open the linked photos? Not on this post, not on others. Any ideas?

I am using Internet Explorer 5.1 on a Mac... is this why?

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StillMrFitz
    Straight from the D70 - ISO 320 - Kit lens.

• 07-28-2004, 10:22 PM
    StillMrFitz
    1 Attachment(s)
    He Certainly is
    He can load that truck almost as fast as the shovel behind him.
    Very observent John.

The past three weeks have been a very intersting time for me.
    My second best friend just died of cancer.
    Her name was Willow and she was the smartest most protective dog I have ever been fortunate enough to allow me to be her master..
    Fortunately for me my interest in digital photography has made missing her a little less intense.
    She left us just as our new grandson arrived and our search for our digital camera was mostly related to our grandsons birth.
    We started with the Sony DSCV1 which happened to be on sale in our area.
    Beautiful little camera and when I can afford a pocket P&S this is the one I will have.
    Next we had a look at three of the new 8MP prosumer models; Sony 828, Canon Pro 1 and the Oly C8080.
    We purchased the Canon Pro 1, less noise and purple fringing then the Sony 828 and a little more telephoto then the Oly.
    Unfortunately none of the 8MP jobs are suitable for low light photography.
    I would certainly recommend the Canon Pro 1 to anyone looking for a family, vacation camera with no intention of enlargements beyond 8 x10.
    I was impressed with the performance of the Pro 1, it was my favourite of the 8MP that I tried. I found the Sony very noisey at ISO 400. Useless without Noise Ninja.
    Tried the Canon D-Rebel next.
    Cannot get past that pretty champagne colour.
    On the practicle side we (Carmen - my wife and I) both found the Nikon D70 more intuitative and of course two years of new technology makes a big difference in performance those days.
    I have been a Nikon fan for a while, have a fair amount of Nikon gear and so we ended our search with the D70.
    After reading of some of the prolems other people were having with the D70 I almost gave up on the whole business. Glad I didn't.
    It may be luck but I have seen no evidence of (any) of the nit picking problems mentioned by so many folks on the internet.
    Focus is perfect, colour is glorious and with the metering system from the Nikon F5 exposure is as close to excellent slide performance as one could hope for.
    My shot of the truck is done with P mode at ISO 320.
    I don't think it gets much better for P on a bright sunny day and the colour RED.

Willow - Straight out of the Canon Pro1 - No post processing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I like the worker with the mailbox head. Is he a good digger?

• 07-28-2004, 10:26 PM
    StillMrFitz
    Try updating to Explore 6 or better
    Don't know the easy answer but ry updating.

PFitz

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokola
    I can never open the linked photos? Not on this post, not on others. Any ideas?

I am using Internet Explorer 5.1 on a Mac... is this why?

Thanks.

• 07-29-2004, 08:30 AM
    christopher_platt
    One word. . .Safari!
    Fritz-
    Apple's web browser, Safari, is free, has a built in pop up blocker, and supports tabbed browsing (IMHO the coolest thing about it.)
    Chip
  • 07-29-2004, 08:38 AM
    Photo-John
    Mac Issue
    jokola-
    It's a Mac issue. It's inconsistent, but pre-Panther OS Macs have trouble with the way images are displayed on these forums. They're uploaded as attachments and Macs don't like to display them. They do show up with the Panther OS, though. I need to get my engineers looking at this and see if there's anything we can do about it. But if you upgrade to Panther you should be able to see the photos.
  • 07-29-2004, 11:10 AM
    jokola
    I can see them today
    I tried opening this forum on my G4 Mac at work, using Internet Explorer 5, and I can see the photos perfectly. Awesome colors and very sharp! Maybe it's just the way my I-Mac computer at home is set up that blocks the photos from loading...

Thanks!
  • 07-29-2004, 04:22 PM
    coloradoamigo
    Fitz.....
    Good to see you posting again. It's been quite a while now. I'm sorry to hear about your dog, I've lost them myself a few times and it's always hard. They are family.
    It's good to see you got the D70. It's a fantastic camera and I love mine.
    Hope to see more shots soon!!
    Good to see you back...
  • 07-30-2004, 01:20 PM
    StillMrFitz
    Thank You Brian
    Nice to hear from you and I do appreciate your comments and your sentiment.
    Willow was a constant companion for 11 1/2 years.
    Camping, canoeing, hiking, beer drinking etc.
    I still have her son and he is 1/2 Husky. All he's done lately is mope around the house.
    Don't get furthur then 3 feet from me.
    The D70 fasinates me. I will miss taking slides and would very much like to get a film recorder to produce slides from my digital shots.
    Very expensive at a starting price of $3500C. I need a new printer more then I need the film recorder. The last week has been quite a learning experience. This is the most automatic camera I have even owned with more buttons then any other 6 cameras I have ever had, including all 3 models of the Bronica series. I won't miss cleaning the tar spots and dust off film. Being able to shoot any number of shots at any time is a real treat. At 25 cents for a 4 x 6 you don't mind getting the keepers printed. The only unfortunate part is the fact that I can't use any of my manual lenses. I need new telephoto gear and at least one iTTL flash. I am really looking forward to the fall shoot.

Love your Nikon and it will repay you many fold.

Fitz

Quote:

Originally Posted by coloradoamigo
    Good to see you posting again. It's been quite a while now. I'm sorry to hear about your dog, I've lost them myself a few times and it's always hard. They are family.
    It's good to see you got the D70. It's a fantastic camera and I love mine.
    Hope to see more shots soon!!
    Good to see you back...

• 08-12-2004, 05:22 PM
    freedom1500
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StillMrFitz
    The only unfortunate part is the fact that I can't use any of my manual lenses. Fitz

Maybe you already know this, but in case you don't...
    I just purchased a D70 and I love it. The salesman at the camera shop told me I couldn't use my old pre-1980 manual-focus lenses (not even in manual mode) so I took his word and never even bothered trying them. Just as I was getting ready to sell them on eBay, I read somewhere that I could use my old lenses, provided I set the control to M for manual. You guessed it. All my old Nikon lenses work... yes only in manual focus and manual exposure. So I use a handheld light meter and focus by hand. Big deal. Not such a big price to pay considering I can use all my old faithfuls. And considering these lenses were made in the 1970s, they are incredibly sharp and reproduce magnificent colour.
  • 08-12-2004, 08:57 PM
    StillMrFitz
    Being more specific
    Hi There

Thank you for the reply.
    I was less then specific when I made the comment about using manual lenses.
    I should have said that none of the metering modes work with manual lenses.
    You are quite correct - You only need a handheld meter and a good eye.
    Fortunately I've found a first or second generation Nikon AF 70-210 f4 zoom that works beautifully and the price was to good to pass up.
    This lens came to the market at about the same time as the Nikon F4.
    Size and weight wise it fits the D70 very nicely and the picture quality is about the same as the kit lens.
    I also have the manual version of this lens and a very nice 70-210 Tamron f3.5 - constant aperture macro zoom - both of which are now for sale.
    Thanks for the interest and the info.

PFitz

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedom1500
    Maybe you already know this, but in case you don't...
    I just purchased a D70 and I love it. The salesman at the camera shop told me I couldn't use my old pre-1980 manual-focus lenses (not even in manual mode) so I took his word and never even bothered trying them. Just as I was getting ready to sell them on eBay, I read somewhere that I could use my old lenses, provided I set the control to M for manual. You guessed it. All my old Nikon lenses work... yes only in manual focus and manual exposure. So I use a handheld light meter and focus by hand. Big deal. Not such a big price to pay considering I can use all my old faithfuls. And considering these lenses were made in the 1970s, they are incredibly sharp and reproduce magnificent colour.