Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

To D70 or Not to D70

Hello.
    I've played around with P/S digitals for about the past 4 years, and i've played around with MJS' and Young Shooter's D70s and I like them a lot. The thing is I will not be upgrading cameras until around my birthday. I am wondering if I should buy a D70, or if you guys have heard anything about any new Nikon Digital SLR's apart from the D2X that are going to come out before next summer (my next cruise). I'm just concerned with Nikon brand cameras, for many reasons including previous good experiences with them and the ease of use for some of the equipment at the school.
    Anyone?
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Re: To D70 or Not to D70

Rumors are the next camera is a D200; but that's all they are, rumors. Nothing's been announced beside the D2X--and even if a "D200" or something similar is announced, there's no guarantee you could get it by your cruise. Get the D70 and shoot away to your heart's content.

I had this problem too

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    Hello.
    I've played around with P/S digitals for about the past 4 years, and i've played around with MJS' and Young Shooter's D70s and I like them a lot. The thing is I will not be upgrading cameras until around my birthday. I am wondering if I should buy a D70, or if you guys have heard anything about any new Nikon Digital SLR's apart from the D2X that are going to come out before next summer (my next cruise). I'm just concerned with Nikon brand cameras, for many reasons including previous good experiences with them and the ease of use for some of the equipment at the school.
    Anyone?
    Well more or less. I was in no hurry, anyway. I just got fed up with being in a hurry to scan film of weddings and so on for other people. I could have waited for February and the announcement of the D200, with probable availability in summer 2005.

If the D200 is the exact equivalent of the 20D - well the 20D has lots of nice features but I don't really need 5fps, and 8Mpix is not really a big improvement over 6Mpix. My D70 kit was half the price of the 20D kit. The D70 is a proven, mature product which will do the job for the next 4 years or so.

Personally I think that the D200 has to be an improvement on the 20D to make it really different from the D70. Say it had 10Mpix and 100-1600ISO that would put it close to the EOS 1Ds Mark1 and put it not too far from the Fuji S3 (12Mpix). But that's just guessing.

Charles

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: I had this problem too

thanks guys...I think i'll probably hold out for a while.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Thread Information