Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

D70: Kit lens vs. Nikon 24-120 AF-S VR?

Has anyone used the Nikon 24-120 AF-S VR on the D70? What did you think? In what situations was it particularly well suited?

Is there some better choice than the kit 18-70 lens for an all-purpose lens that can be useful for event coverage, candids/action, and portraits (sometimes changing lenses just isn't an easy option for me)?

I shoot mainly people pictures. Especially a lot of kids.

Thanks!

Jennie

Re: D70: Kit lens vs. Nikon 24-120 AF-S VR?

I finally decided on the 24-120 based on reviews I read and after thinking alot about my shooting styles and needs. I tend to use the telephoto end of my zooms more than the wide angle, and the 24-120 will give me more reach on the D70. Also, on my N80 the 24-120 will give me a wide angle option I don't have now should I need it. And I was sold on the VR function that will allow me to handhold better in lower-light situations when I can't use a flash (such as most church wedding ceremonies). I can't wait for the new gear to arrive!

[Edit: Whoops! I see the original poster has replied to his question and ordered the lens. Disregard my post. And, enjoy the new lens!]

Depends how much you use the wide-angle side when shooting. Remember, the D70 has a 1.5 "crop factor". What this means is that your 50mm SLR equivelent on the D70 is around 33mm. So, you'll need to go below 33mm to get wida angle shots.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Last edited by OldSchool; 03-05-2005 at 10:37 AM. Reason: whoops!
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jokola
    I finally decided on the 24-120 based on reviews I read and after thinking alot about my shooting styles and needs. I tend to use the telephoto end of my zooms more than the wide angle, and the 24-120 will give me more reach on the D70. Also, on my N80 the 24-120 will give me a wide angle option I don't have now should I need it. And I was sold on the VR function that will allow me to handhold better in lower-light situations when I can't use a flash (such as most church wedding ceremonies). I can't wait for the new gear to arrive!
    I guess its too late to change your mind, but the 24-120 has reports of softness, and its got a small max aperture, and a huge change in aperture from 24-120. You'll have some serious speed issues shooting weddings with your lens. If your aperture is f/5.6 in a church with no flash, VR or not your shutter speed is going to be abysmally slow. VR might not help enough, because even on pro lenses you can get steady shots at between 1/15 or 1/4 of a second, but shooting f/5.6 in a dark church, even with your iso cranked up its gonna be slow. ESPECIALLY if you tend to use the long end of your lens.
    AND MAY I REMIND YOU
    that VR does NOTHING for subject motion. In your 1/2 second, 1 second etc. exposures, depending on conditions, you'll have lots of subject motion.
    If you do crank up the ISO you'll probably have lots of dark areas that will catch a lot of noise.
    If I were you shooting weddings handheld without flash, I'd get a fast lens. and I mean fast. like f/2 or faster, and shoot with ISO cranked up, then pp with one of the aftermarket noise reduction programs.
    There are a few interesting lenses out there that might serve you much better, like a 50mm or 85mm f/1.8 or 1.4, or even the 105mm f/2 DC, which will allow you to take control over your out of focus elements.
    Finally make sure you have a LOT of memory cards You'll likely have just as many botched shots in low light as I do.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Hi,

Thanks for the input. Hmmm... maybe I will have to use this lens for other purposes then. Good point about subject motion! I had not considered that. Hopefully I will get some use out of it for other purposes, as I have already ordered it! I'll let you know when it gets here what I think of it...

I have a Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens already, which is my fallback lens when I'm in a jam anyway. So I guess that's a start. I would like a faster lens with some kind of zoom to it... Sometimes getting closer to the action just isn't an option... Any suggestions? Will I regret not getting the kit lens?

Thanks for any advice you might offer.

Jennie

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    I guess its too late to change your mind, but the 24-120 has reports of softness, and its got a small max aperture, and a huge change in aperture from 24-120. You'll have some serious speed issues shooting weddings with your lens. If your aperture is f/5.6 in a church with no flash, VR or not your shutter speed is going to be abysmally slow. VR might not help enough, because even on pro lenses you can get steady shots at between 1/15 or 1/4 of a second, but shooting f/5.6 in a dark church, even with your iso cranked up its gonna be slow. ESPECIALLY if you tend to use the long end of your lens.
    AND MAY I REMIND YOU
    that VR does NOTHING for subject motion. In your 1/2 second, 1 second etc. exposures, depending on conditions, you'll have lots of subject motion.
    If you do crank up the ISO you'll probably have lots of dark areas that will catch a lot of noise.
    If I were you shooting weddings handheld without flash, I'd get a fast lens. and I mean fast. like f/2 or faster, and shoot with ISO cranked up, then pp with one of the aftermarket noise reduction programs.
    There are a few interesting lenses out there that might serve you much better, like a 50mm or 85mm f/1.8 or 1.4, or even the 105mm f/2 DC, which will allow you to take control over your out of focus elements.
    Finally make sure you have a LOT of memory cards You'll likely have just as many botched shots in low light as I do.

Hi again,

I've been using the D70 with the Nikon 24-120 for a few weeks now, and so far so good. It seems to be fast and responsive, even in low light conditions. I shot a theater production last weekend in a very dark auditorium with minimal stage light. I used the VR on the lens and set the D70 to 1600 ISO, I got some pretty decent shots. Autofocus was excellent. The real test is coming in the next couple weeks when I have a number of weddings to shoot. I am still working on white balance settings, but from what I gather, that's something most people seem to need to work on. I haven't had too much trouble with the lack of wide angle on this lens, except one time when I was photographing a blind student reading Braille with his teacher in a classroom. He was seated pretty close to a wall, and naturally the best angle was from the wall and not the aisle. It would gave been nice to have a true 24 to 28 mm lens at that point. I had to do some creative moves for that assignment, including standing on the teacher's desk and bending awkwardly downwards and to the left, but in the end it was OK. At some point, I will need to add a wider lens to my kit!

Glad to hear it. Feel free to post some samples some time...
    tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Thread Information