Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D70 or D100

My manual says..

Quote Originally Posted by Rere15
    Hi,
    Sorry, got my manuals mixed up. It's in the SB800 manual page 108. If you are using a CPU lens in any other camera mode except Manual on the D100, you are suppose to use the TTLBL mode on the speedlight. Even though the D70 is compatible with the CLS(Nikon's Creative Lighting System) my friend and I ( who also has the same 2 cameras and speedlightslways use this setting when we shoot in the A or S mode. Bottom line: if it works-do it.
    By the way--another reason to buy the D70 over the D100, the D70 is compatible with CLS-though this will never come close to using a professional studio lighting system.
    Keep shooting
    Rere
    I have already used the D70 with a professional lighting system and the results were great. I used the SB800 on manual mode to trigger the slaves.

My (French) D70 manual says (on page 94) says that i-TTL BBL mode is for when you want a "natural" effect with ambient light. The "standard" i-TTL mode is for when you want to make the main subject take prominence over the background or you want to use exposure correction.

I'll keep on working at it.

Charles

Re: My manual says..

Hi,
    When you used your SB800 to trigger the slaves of your studio lights, did you turn the head of the speedlight up or cover it with infrared tape? Why didn't you just use the built-in speedlight on the camera to trigger the slaves rather than the SB800?
    Also, did you go into the camera and change the flash setting to manuel? (since it defaults to TTL and will give a preflash that triggers the slaves too early). I need to work with this-had trouble where the slaves were firing too early and not registering on the photo. I've been using the sync cord on one monolight and triggering the other monolight slave, but even though the cord is long enough, it's safer and nicer not to have to use it.
    Rere

Studio flash

Hi,
    When you used your SB800 to trigger the slaves of your studio lights, did you turn the head of the speedlight up or cover it with infrared tape? Why didn't you just use the built-in speedlight on the camera to trigger the slaves rather than the SB800?
    Also, did you go into the camera and change the flash setting to manuel? (since it defaults to TTL and will give a preflash that triggers the slaves too early). I need to work with this-had trouble where the slaves were firing too early and not registering on the photo. I've been using the sync cord on one monolight and triggering the other monolight slave, but even though the cord is long enough, it's safer and nicer not to have to use it.
    Rere
    First I tried to use the flash on the D70 in Manual mode 1/16 power but it wasn't always powerful enough to trigger the flashes. As I didn't want to increase the power in case it started to appear in the image, I used the SB80 with the head turned to point it at one of the slave flashes and set it to Manual and about 1/16 power. I forget if the put the flash back onto i-TTL mode - this all happened over several days.

My Monolite is distinctly "live" electrically and I never connect it directly to a camera except the all-mechanical Hasselblad. I have a variety of semi-pro units from Powerflash, Proflash and Hama which do the job.

Charles

Re: Studio flash

Hi,
    Yes, remembering to change the settings back on the camera (for the flash) from manual to TTL is what worries me.
    I use the little Wein safe sync on the hotshoe of my cameras and connect one of the monolights to thaI. That way I know it will regulate the voltage and not burn up my camera.
    I have a large reunion in about 3 weeks at a local hotel. so I need to get the studio geer out and make some test shots. Thanks for the info.
    Rere

Sounds like my event

Hi,
    Yes, remembering to change the settings back on the camera (for the flash) from manual to TTL is what worries me.
    I use the little Wein safe sync on the hotshoe of my cameras and connect one of the monolights to thaI. That way I know it will regulate the voltage and not burn up my camera.
    I have a large reunion in about 3 weeks at a local hotel. so I need to get the studio geer out and make some test shots. Thanks for the info.
    Rere
    I had a similar sort of thing to do - a party to celebrate 25 years of a company's existence with about 350 employees.

I had a space about 20 feet wide and 15 feet deep with a nice empty wall as background. I didn't do anything complicated - one bare studio flash on either side, set so there was about one stop difference between them in the middle (measured with a flashmeter of course).

I could do anything from individuals to groups of 20 people, I just had to stick 'em up, make 'em laugh and shoot 'em down. The only problem was with the large groups because the people at the edges got slightly overexposed from being too close to the flashes.

One tip - make sure you take enough electrical cables. The only working electrical socket on my piece of wall was 20 feet off the ground..

Charles

Re: Sounds like my event

Hi,
    So you chose not to use umbrellas-you used the bare bulbs? I've never used only the bare bulbs. I'm a little afraid of shadows. I will probably use my 60 inch umbrellas and bounce the light into the silver part. Or I could take off the silver liners and shoot through the umbrellas, but afraid there will not be enough light that way. The quality of the light is always better with the silver. What do you think?
    Thanks for the tip about the electrical cables--need to purchace more of them.
    Rere

Quantity not quality

Hi,
    So you chose not to use umbrellas-you used the bare bulbs? I've never used only the bare bulbs. I'm a little afraid of shadows. I will probably use my 60 inch umbrellas and bounce the light into the silver part. Or I could take off the silver liners and shoot through the umbrellas, but afraid there will not be enough light that way. The quality of the light is always better with the silver. What do you think?
    Thanks for the tip about the electrical cables--need to purchace more of them.
    Rere
    For large groups you have to put the lights further away and the effect of the umbrella is more or less lost, plus it soaks up power.

I just think in terms of stage lighting and make sure I have a main light and a fill-in with the right balance. I'm surprised at how good it looks, but remember that the great portraitists of the 40's and 50's didn't have brollies.

Charles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information