Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

D50 versus Rebel XT (350)???

Looking for night sports photography for the most part.

I'm looking to add a Sigma 80-200 F2.8 lens.

Not sure which brand has the advantage.

Also, will this Nikkor lens work with the D50?

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/1934...8D-ED-AF-.html

Thanks for any replies.

Re: D50 versus Rebel XT (350)???

Most of the time this comes down to personal preference. I'm not as familiar with the Nikon as the Canon. One sports-related issue with the Rebel XT is that predictive auto focus is only available in the sports mode. For someone, like me, who always uses manual exposure, this is a problem. With the Rebel XT I'd have to sacrifice manual exposure or predictive auto focus. Neither one is a sacrifice I'd like to make. Depending on how you're used to shooting, that may or many not be an issue for you. It's certainly a limiting factor in the overal functionality of the camera, though. I would recommend checking the specs on the D50 to see if it offers predictive auto focus in the manual exposure mode. That would definitely sway me.

Another thing to consider is the overal system you're buying into. Even though both the D50 and the Rebel XT have APS-sized sensors, Canon now has three digital SLRs with full-frame sensors. A lot of photographers believe that full, 35mm-sized sensors are a necessity for the best image quality. Bigger sensors mean larger pixels. And larger pixels equal better image quality. Right now, it appears that Nikon has no intention to make full-frame sensors. That places a limitation on the future of the Nikon system's image quality.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have more questions.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: D50 versus Rebel XT (350)???

thanks for the reply...

Thread Information