Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: D50 Blurry

D50 Blurry

Hello I'm having some blur problems and was wondering if you guys could help me clear it up. When I look thru the eyepiece and take a picture the camera looks clear but photos sometimes come out a little blurry, its not me shaking because I've tested this by setting the camera down on something and taking a picture. What is the proper way to adjust the eyepiece? Also, when you look into the camera in the bottom left there is a little icon that looks like [ - ] and it has a green light that goes on and off next to it.. does this mean the picture is perfectly focused when it lights up? I tried looking for that icon in the manual but couldnt find for some reason sorry I have the 18-70 lens btw.

Re: D50 Blurry

I've never used a D50, but it might have a slider at the right side of the eyepiece. Focus the camera on something and lock the focus in. Adjust the slider until the image is clear. This might be called "diopter adjustment" in the manual - check the index for the words "diopter" and/or "eyepiece".

The thing you see in the viewfinder is standard among Nikon cameras. When the green dot lights up, then it's in focus. Specifically, the active focus point is in focus with whatever it's pointed at (I'm assuming it has more than just the center AF point). If the middle focus point is active and what you want to focus on is on the left side of the frame, then the camera won't know that. Focus on that object, lock the focus in (push the shutter release half way down) then re-compose and shoot. It's quick and easy once you get used to doing it.

Yes, when light is solid at lower left, it's in focus....

Despite the little green dot being lit, only means the focus is locked and if you are not careful, it could be locked on something farther or closer than your subject. So check that part out. Make sure your focused on your subject. Make sure you understand and know your depth of field.

The adjustment on the viewfinder is the diopter adjustement and should be set to be in focus for what you think is correct when you look through the viewfinder.

Always make sure you have the lens set on auto and not manual as well.

What shooting mode?

If you are in Auto, I believe it will "focus on the closest object". And, this may not be what you want to shoot. Read up on focusing in your manual -- especially the part on choosing focus points and pressing the shutter half way to lock the focus.

Also, a proper test would be to set your camera on the table; focus on something, and use the self-timer to release the shutter. Pressing the shutter manually will introduce shake -- and you want to rule that out.

Good luck,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Thread Information