Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Lenses for xti

Lenses for xti

Hello! Found this forum on accident while researching some lenses. My wife bought a Canon Rebel XTI and will be soon going to school for photography. The stock lens that came with the camera are not very good at all so I was doing some research to buy her a lens for Christmas.

My budget is about $300. I know lenses are expensive but I just want to get her something that will get her started towards her career. Eventually, she wants to open up her own studio and do wedding and graduation photos. She also does a lot of outdoor pictures.

Can anyone recommend a lens that will suit her needs? I dont have a clue when it comes to cameras and researching is not helping with all the information on the net.

Thank you!!

Re: Lenses for xti

Can you tell us what kind of subjects she likes to shoot? Also, are you aware of regular complaints she has about the kit lens? Answering those two questions would help us direct you better. There are tons of lenses available, but without knowing more about what she wants to do, it's hard to make a good recommendation. Give us some more to work with and I'm sure we can overwhelm you with options
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Well, she likes to shoot anything really. One of the biggest complaints she has is that she cannot zoom far enough. She likes to take pictures of nature, the sky(day and night), and people. She does a lot of work with my daughter too, she is only two years old. She makes scrap books and what not too. Thanks for your help!

Canon 28-135mm IS

So she wants to take photos from a longer distance. That's useful. With your $300 budget, I'd recommend taking a look at the Canon 28-135mm IS lens. It's been around for a long, long time, it's very versatile, and it will provide a lot more reach than the kit lens that came with the XTi. Here's a link for the reviews on that lens:

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens reviews >>

That lens will be pushing your budget a bit. But I think it's worth the extra money and I don't think you'll regret it. I've had one for about ten years and just recently gave it to my dad. It got a lot of use for all kinds of photos.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thank you so much for the reply, the info was very helpful. It does stretch my budget a bit but the reviews were pretty good. Also, I found this in her favorites so Im guessing it was a lens she was considering: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830998366. Can you tell me how it compares to the one you recommended? Thank you.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The lens that you just listed is a fixed lens, it doesn't have ANY zoom capabilities. If that is the lens that she is looking at you might as say her to take a look at the 50 1.8, which is a great lens for a fraction of the price, about $80.

The lens that John suggested would be great for what you described, 28-135, plus it covers the 50mm of the fixed lens that she is already looking at. Also the stock lens is the 18-55 and the 28-135 would more then double the zoom.

Sometimes it is really hard to purchase camera gear for someone else even if they are your significant other. It might be easier to place an IOU in a box and take her to the store or purchase it on-line, from a reputable dealer.

James

If the 28-135 is out of your price range you may consider the 28-105 it lacks Image Stabilization so it's not as versital as the 28-135 but its in your budget & it offers a good focal range for both indoor and outdoor use. Their are some xx-200 & xx-300 lenses in your price range but they really couldn't be used much indoors, they lack IS and are pretty slow.
    BTW the lens you linked is great, one of the sharpest Canon offers. I'm not knocking the place you linked but if you buy it online you might consider Adorama or B&H, they may even have a used, demo or grey market copy for less
    Last edited by PhotoRookie; 12-09-2008 at 10:37 AM.
    Canon EOS 30D
    50 f1.4
    24-70 f2.8L
    70-200 f2.8L
    300 f4L

Thread Information