• 04-07-2007, 08:43 PM
    Marley
    D-SLR for beginner/intermediate
    Hi!

I searched the forums and couldn't find a thread that was what I was looking for, so here I am.

I have a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W50. It's 6 megapixels, and is great because I can take it anywhere and get decent shots.

However, I am frustrated at the limitations of it and want to upgrade to a D-SLR. My frsutrations are mostly with the bad low light pics, and blurry pics even when using 400 or 800 ISO. I'd like to take better pictures of my dog, as well as take pictures of sports, action shots, and outdoors/nature pictures. My hardest thing is getting pictures to actually focus! I've been told I have a good eye for photography, I just need the equiptment and experience to really improve.

So I'm looking for a D-SLR that is around or under $700 with a kit lens. I'll buy additional equiptment later, but initially I need a decent starter package. There are so many cameras out there, that I don't know what to get. I really like SONY, but I don't know anything about their SLRs. I want something that has a fast fps rate as well. It's very helpful when taking action shots of my brother's basketball team and my dog, as the shot is gone before my camera takes the picture.

I've been looking at the Canon Rebel models, SONY Alpha A100K and A100, as well as Nikon D40, D40x, D50, and D70.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • 04-08-2007, 09:37 PM
    Frog
    Re: D-SLR for beginner/intermediate
    I, dilegently, avoid recommending cameras but here's a site where you can get specs on just about any camera made and even do side by side comparisons. Click the buying guide on the left.
    There are also reviews of the cameras you mention in the reviews section of this site.
  • 04-09-2007, 06:22 AM
    rsimmons
    The best thing to do is go down to a camera shop and hold them in your hands. It was the best thing I could have done.
  • 04-09-2007, 05:44 PM
    Marley
    gee, thanks for all the help!
  • 04-09-2007, 06:04 PM
    Frog
    I went to the site I suggested to you, clicked buying guide, checked dslr, clicked under 800 dollars and got 11 possibilities. The prices were without lenses but most were low enough that you should be able to add a lens and stay under 700. Took me about 10 seconds.
    I researched for months to decide on the camera I wanted. It all boils down to personal choice which is why I don't give recomendations without more specifics.
    Did you bother to read this: http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ead.php?t=4047
    or any of the other threads on choosing a camera or did you just want us to do all the work and then you could complain later when you decide you wanted something else?