Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Considering buying Canon 30D

Hi, i need some advice where to get the best price for 30D body. I found on butterflyphoto.com with really good price. Is this store is a good place to buy camera?. I'm currently a senior high school student. I've been taking photograph with my S7000 Fuji for nearly 1 and a half year right now. I decided to go for amateur and pro photography.

Btw, my uncle, who is a photographer for alamy.com , he's going to retire soon so he gave me: 75-300 Canon USM IS, 20 -30mm , 24 - 85 mm, and a Speedlite 550EX flash. Those are some great gifts from him for my graduation.

Am I invest too much for a 30D body or just go for D70, D50, XT which are @ cheaper price???. I like the 30D a lot along with new functions and the most important are large sensor size and speed for sports and indoor. I 'm gonna use it alot for college events next year.

Some more questions.
    - Does any body knows which site shows you how to :
    1 - CLEAN THE CAMERA MIRROR/ SENSOR?
    2- USE FLASH/lightning indoor and effective?

Re: Considering buying Canon 30D

khanfat-
    I would recommend not shopping by the lowest price. The lowest price almost always has some hidden costs. Remember the rule - If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Looks for a dealer that has a fair price and a good reputation. That's the advice pretty much everyone on this site will give you. You can check the Dealer Feedback forum for more information on which dealers are trustworthy and which ones aren't: http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=10

As for which camera to buy - the D30 will be great - much better than the Rebel XT. Don't buy a Nikon just for the price - buy it because you'd rather have a Nikon. The truth is, there isn't going to be a huge practical difference between Nikon and Canon. They're both building great digital SLRs right now. If you have a preference, that's fine. But if not, go with the Canon since your uncle gave you Canon lenses.

Hope that helps!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

You have a good start on a lens collection, as well as a (formerly) top of the line flash, so you should pick up a Canon body somewhere cheap. If you want new, the 30D is a good choice. If you want used, I've seen D30's (not 30D) for $300. I had a D30 and it is worth every bit of $300, used. A used 10D will set you back maybe $500. The 10D is still my only digital SLR and I have no complaints.

In re: your questions. DO NOT try to clean the mirror. Just ignore the inevitable dust specks. As far as the sensor goes, I've never cleaned mine. On the maybe two occassions I have seen a speck on a photo from a possible sensor dust spot, one click of the cloning tool got rid of it.

Good point about not cleaning the mirror. It's way too easy to damage. As for the sensor - instructions are in the manual. I shoot mountain biking and get tons of dust on my sensor. I have to clean it all the time. You just use an air bulb and follow the directions in the manual. It's no big deal.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The best (legit) price I've seen for the 30D is on amazon.com. It was $1,349.94 body only or $1,398.47 for the kit. I think it qualifies for free shipping and there is no tax. I got mine at Circuit City because I'm impatient and they do price match Amazon. I had to pay tax at the store but my total was $1349.00 and with tax $1430 and change. I actually got the kit so I paid about $30 more just to get it immediately.

Thanks all for advices. I lost the book mark of this page so i haven't online on this for a longtime. Btw, good news is i bought a 30D + 2gb Ritek CF for 1365$ incl shipping. I hope the camera come soon. I got it from newegg.com . I like that store compare to other ones.

Thread Information