Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Confused help please

I have been posting to this forum for a while and I am not the brightest person in the world and I am having trouble with a lens decision. With all the info out there in forums and on the web, I am confused about what lens to buy. I bought a Nikon 18-200mm VRII for $680. I really enjoy doing portraits and stuff. I want to try and step up my quality a bit and just switched from Olympus to Nikon. Granted I am using a Nikon D50 right now but I am going to step into a D300 soon. I bought a 50mm 1.8 lens for $100 and I want a good tele lens for portraits. I do shoot a wedding from time to time but nothing serious. Did I screw up buying the Nikon 18-200mm VRII, is it worth having or should I have bought the 80-200 2.8 for $800? Also I want to pick up the 85mm 1.8 for $400. Can anyone offer me any advice or suggestions? I want to start doing some glamor work also. Magazine quality stuff is what I am looking for.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Re: Confused help please

Usually, technique is more important than gear. In the case of portraits, a good, large aperture telephoto does make a difference. The camera isn't really that important as long as you have something decent, which your D50 is. You're definitely doing the right thing looking at better lenses before a new camera.

Now, about that 18-200mm lens. It's a great all-purpose lens but it wouldn't be one I'd choose if portraits were a high priority. Large aperture is key for portraits because it allows you to use shallow depth-of-field to drop out the backgrounds. You can do that with your 18-200mm if you fill the frame, wide-open at 200mm. But you need a lot of room to do that and f/5.6 still isn't a very large aperture. You'd definitely do better with the 80-200mm f/2.8. If I were looking at for a good all-purpose zoom for portraits, I'd take a hard look at the 24-70mm f/2.8 Nikkor. That is a beautiful lens. Unfortunately, it also costs $1600. An inexpensive alternative that I can vouch for is the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. I bought one years ago and I'm still happily using it.

It's also useful to remember that buying new gear won't make you a better photographer. Understanding how what you have works and learning to get the most out of it is always the best way to proceed. Like I said, better lenses will make a difference for portrait photography. On the other hand, a great photographer will break all the rules with all the wrong gear and still make better photos than you or me
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I have the 18-200. I find it works fine for portraits - and just about anything as long as I use it at f8-f11 (easy in the studio). I have had a few pictures which looked soft at wider apertures, especially at the 200mm setting but I'm still very happy with it.

I have the 80-200 f2.8 AF-S. I use it only when I really need that f2.8 aperture. I used it just once in the studio - big, heavy, limited zoom range - I went straight back to the 18-200 with no regrets.

I have the 50mm f1.8 and the 85mm f1.8. I use them when I really need f1.8. Can't say I've really noticed any difference in image quality compared with the 18-200 in real life. At f1.8 image quality is actually pretty bad but better that than a blurred image

I make it sound like the 18-200 is the perfect lens - well it isn't. I've tested it and it has the lowest performance (sharpness) of all the lenses that I have. But it gets me the shot that I might miss by changing lenses with the others
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I think I am going to try and return the 18-200 I bought, I won't get it until the end of the week. After paying $680 for it I feel like I am going to be disappointed. The 80-200 2.8 is only $790 from Amazon, I should have bought it first. I think between the Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 and the 80-200mm 2.8 I will be ok on lens's for a long time, I just hope I can return the other one I bought. I own a 50mm 1.8 already, I don't think I will need the 85mm. My brother has the 70-200mm 2.8 Tamron, it has a red tint to it but it is cheaper at $690.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Thread Information